President Trump skipped much of a daylong summit of world leaders who are meeting to address the effects of climate change. On Monday, while other world leaders will be meeting at the formal kick-off for the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), the president will instead be addressing a meeting on the persecution of religious minorities and efforts the administration is taking to support religious freedom. Earlier Monday morning, White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham raised the possibility that he might still find time to appear at the climate change summit. “His schedule is ever changing, but it wouldn’t surprise me if he popped by,” she said in an appearance on Fox News.And Mr. Trump did end up dropping by a morning session, where he was seen listening to the climate discussion inside the General Assembly Hall. Seated with newest U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Kelly Craft, along with Vice President Mike Pence, the president listened intently for about 10 minutes before departing for his religious freedom event.U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres, who has been making a push to end new coal plant construction by 2020 to curb greenhouse gas emissions, did not want countries supporting the expansion of coal production… Read full this story
- Only you can save us from climate disaster, Attenborough tells UN
- U.S. joins effort by Russia, Saudi Arabia to downplay climate report
- The Latest: Chile to host next year's UN climate summit
- Mike Pompeo Is The Spineless Personification Of Donald Trump's Nihilist Foreign Policy
- G-20 summit agrees on trade, migration
- US joins Saudi Arabia, Russia to weaken climate change report
- Climate talks inch forward in Poland, may go through weekendYou may also be interested in...
- In Paris, Trump stands alone
- Leaders close Group of 20 summit with agreement on trade, migration; U.S. is lone holdout on climate
- Climate talks inch forward in Poland, may go thru weekend
Trump drops by United Nations climate summit have 316 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at September 23, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.