Donald Trump has urged the US Federal Reserve to slash interest rates to zero or even into negative territory as he lashed out ahead of the central bank’s crucial decision next week.
The US president called the Fed’s rate-setters “boneheads” in another online barrage targeting its policymakers, warning they are missing out on “a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity”.
“The Federal Reserve should get our interest rates down to zero, or less, and we should then start to refinance our debt,” he tweeted.
Mr Trump’s latest broadside came as markets gear up for a key meeting at the Fed next week. The US central bank is widely expected to cut rates for only the second time in a decade at next Wednesday’s meeting…
Start your free trial of Premium
- Access all Premium articles
- Subscriber-only events
- Cancel any time
Free for 30 days
then only £2 per week
Access one Premium article per week
Already a subscriber? Log in
- One free Premium article per week
- Newsletters and daily briefings
- Unlimited access to Premium articles
- Subscriber-only newsletters
- Exclusive subscriber events and rewards
- The daily newspaper on your smartphone or tablet
- Trump demands Justice Department examine whether it or FBI spied on campaign
- Donald Trump Demands DOJ Investigation Into FBI, Obama Administration Election Spying Claims
- State Farm to cut rates after years of increases
- Trump demands investigation of FBI
- US President Donald Trump demands Justice Department to probe if it or FBI spied on his election campaign
- Trump Boasts His Approval Rating is ‘Above Obama’ Based on Poll That Consistently Favors Him
- Justice Department calls for inquiry after Trump demands probe into whether FBI ‘infiltrated or surveilled’ his campaign
- US President Donald Trump demands probe of alleged spying on his 2016 election campaign
- As inflation breaks below MPR, will the CBN now cut rates?
- Trump ‘demands’ probe of ‘spying’ on his campaign