An 18-year-old was struck down with a mystery lung condition after using e-cigarettes for just 18 months.
Doctors told Adam Hergenreder, from Illinois, he now has the lungs of a 70-year-old after he developed breathing difficulties.
It comes as health authorities in the US is investigating 450 cases of lung disease believed to be caused by inhaling vape smoke.
Six people are so far reported to have died.
Other Adam admitted he stopped using over the counter vape liquids and switched to a THC solution, an active ingredient in cannabis, he got from a friend.
The youngster, who liked to play sports in high school, is now worried his lungs will never be the same again.
In an interview with CNN he said: “It was scary to think about that – that little device did that to my lungs.
“I was a varsity wrestler before this. And I might not ever be able to wrestle [again] because that’s a very physical sport and my lungs might not be able to hold that exertion. It’s sad.”
Dr Stephen Amesbury, a pulmonologist and critical care physician who treated Adam, told CNN: “If his mom had not brought him to the hospital within the next two to three days, his breathing could have worsened to the point that he could have died if he didn’t seek medical care.
“It was severe lung disease, especially for a young person. He was short of breath, he was breathing heavily.
“It was very concerning that he would have significant lung damage and possibly some residual changes after he heals from this.
Adam added he wanted to share his story to warn other teens against ever picking up the vaping habit.
- Meet the 70-year-old man who is crossing the Atlantic in a kayak
- 17-year-old uses deep learning to program AI cars that race around in your browser
- Scientists Crack 70-Year-Old Mystery of How Magnetic Waves Heat the Sun
- 17-year-old arrested in connection to death of 98-year-old Ohio woman
- Who is Amanda Anisimova, the 17-year-old who stunned French Open champion Simona Halep?
- 4-year-old girl home safe after she was sent to the ER for dry drowning
- 4-year-old Sarasota girl home after she nearly dying from dry drowning
- 4-year-old Florida girl home after she nearly dies from dry drowning
- Deputy who monitored Jeffrey Epstein on work release reveals he office staff was all 20-year-old blonds and said he sat in the driveway while pedophile was locked inside his home every day
- Man sought after 60-year-old Florida man smacked in the head with skateboard