Ninety-one Christchurch university students are setting out to give the West Coast a spruce-up this weekend. Some of the students, from the Student Volunteer Army (SVA), are planting flax to strengthen the Fox riverbank, six months after flooding tore it up and split open an old landfill. Others are cleaning beaches, repairing walking tracks, weeding, cleaning a community centre and planting trees in locations from Cape Foulwind to Punakaiki. It’s the second volunteering camp of the year for the SVA, and president Sati Ravichandiren hoped it would create ties between students and the communities they were volunteering in. He said it wasn’t often that so many students could dig into simple volunteering tasks for three or four hours at a time. “But also it’s just a fun weekend,” he said. “It’s probably my favourite event on the SVA calendar where you just get to go, get to know a different part of the South Island … get to have a lot of fun, get to know each other.” Vice-president Tim Greene said camps were a chance for the SVA members to contribute in a meaningful way to communities outside of their own – while seeing beautiful parts of New Zealand… Read full this story
- County has highest rate of COVID-19 cases on West Coast
- IATSE’s West Coast Office To Host Food Bank Drive-Thru In Burbank
- Coronavirus: Volunteer 'army' 3D-printing PPE for Israeli medics
- Coronavirus: West Coast calls for eased Covid-19 restrictions
- US military investigates 'white power' hand signals by students at Army and Navy game
- Ross Kemp series to celebrate the UK's Covid-19 'volunteer army'
- Student Volunteers Receive Scholarships From Edward Foundation
- Edward Foundation awards scholarships to student volunteers
- County in Washington State Has Highest Rate of COVID-19 Cases on West Coast
- Stranded migrant workers, tourists, students can finally head home across state borders as Home Ministry allows travel amid lockdown
Student Volunteer Army heading to West Coast for clean up have 313 words, post on www.odt.co.nz at September 20, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.