Labour Party leader Jonas Gahr Støre logged the most flight miles during the recent local election campaigns around Norway while the Greens flew least of party leaders reporting their trips. Prime Minister Erna Solberg wouldn’t reveal how much she’s flown since the campaign kicked off officially in August.
Even though only local officials were up for election, national party leaders were keen to offer their support. Newspaper Dagsavisen sought insight into the campaign travel of the leaders of all nine parties represented in local elections.
With the glaring lack of information about Solberg’s travels, Støre emerged as the party leader flying most often. “It’s been important to show support for our fine candidates around the country and that involves lots of travel,” Støre told Dagsavisen. He spent a lot of time traveling around Northern Norway in an effort to maintain Labour’s traditionally strong position, but the Center Party ended up luring away voters because of Labour’s support for the municipal and county mergers earlier approved by Parliament.
“I try to take the train when I can, and a car when necessary, but when I travel in Nordland and Troms, there’s more flying because of the long distances,” Støre said.
The Greens’ leaders logged just two flights, one each for Une Bastholm and Arild Hermstad. The latter’s campaign travel also involved six train trips, three on a bus, one in a car, and one on a ferry.
- Christmas shoppers swarm stores
- New attacks on Baghdad's Green Zone
- Brett Favre returns to Lambeau Field, leads Minnesota Vikings over Green Bay Packers, 38-26
- Antarctica Trip Notes Part 3: Diverted To The Falkland Islands!
- I Exhausted Myself Relaxing at the 'In Goop Health' Summit
- Sunday's Best Deals: Target Gift Cards, Giftable Tools, Nonfiction Reads for Kindle, and More
- Monday's Best Deals: Sharp Roku TV, Anime Blu-rays, Kate Spade, and More
- PALESTINIANS PICK TERROR. Hamas wins stunning victory to rule gov't
- SEEING BOROUGH THROUGH SON'S EYES
- HOT GIFT ITEMS FLY. SHELVES EMPTYING AS BUYING RUSH IS ON