Mental health campaigner Sasha Campbell believes awareness of conditions has turned a corner since she was diagnosed in her early teens.
Last week, the Barrow 18-year-old spoke to pupils at her former Westley Middle School to deliver Fine Not Fine – the campaign she launched after being released from a mental health unit last year.
She said: “I delivered the message to Year 8 classes about my experiences. It went really well, the children were insightful and knew a lot.
“I did not even know what mental health was when I was their age. It was encouraging to hear what they knew and how interested they were.”
Sasha struggled with mental illness for four years before her time in hospital. She started Fine Not Fine with her mother Jordanna and is intending to give workshops in other schools while she completes a nursing course.
“The children had a lot of negative connotations towards what mental health meant and I wanted to share it can be a good thing,” she continued.
“I was nervous to share my story, but they were silent when I spoke and hung on every word.”
Sasha is now planning to study psychology at university next year.
- Seven Steps to Good Mental Health
- Mental Health And Parental Programming
- Asian Mental Health (Part 3)
- Alternatives In Mental Health
- Mental Health Disorder
- Dance Can be a Valuable Part of a Mental Health Programme
- Improving Your Memory and Mental Health
- Women's Mental Health
- Three Steps To Better Mental Health
- Real Men, Real Depression! (Mental Health Matters)
- Be Proactive About Your College Student's Mental Health
- Mental Health Problem
- Suicide Prevention Through Better Mental Health Care
- Belief in a God is Necessary for Proper Mental Health?
- Quality Mental Health and Military Service Inseparable
- Mental Health Insurance
- Dirty White Boy! (MHM-Mental Health Matters!)
- Mental Health Disorders Are Treatable
- Mental Health Depression
- Terror Barrier! (MHM-Mental Health Matters)
Mental health campaigner says attitudes are changing have 295 words, post on www.buryfreepress.co.uk at September 21, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.