RICHMOND, Va. — Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. said Tuesday that he is asking the FBI to investigate what he called a “criminal” smear campaign orchestrated against him by several disgruntled former board members and employees. Falwell told The Associated Press he has evidence that the group improperly shared emails belonging to the university with reporters in an attempt to discredit him. He said the “attempted coup” was partially motivated by his ardent backing of President Trump.Falwell, head of the nation’s most high-profile evangelical college, was among the earliest Christian conservatives to endorse Trump’s campaign. His allegations come after the publication of a story in Politico Magazine on Monday that alleged Falwell “presides over a culture of self-dealing” at Liberty that has improperly benefited him and his family. The story cited unnamed sources described as current and former officials or Falwell associates.”I’m not going to dignify the lies that were reported yesterday with a response, but I am going to the authorities and I am going to civil court,” Falwell said, referring to the reporter as a “little boy.”He added that Liberty has hired “the meanest lawyer in New York,” whom he declined to identify, to pursue civil cases. Falwell… Read full this story
- White Police Officer Says He Was Fired for Not Shooting Black Male Suspect
- Colorado professor weighs in on how a scientist says he made a gene-edited baby
- Spy chief says Russia will attempt interfere in 2020, contradicts Trump on North Korea's denuclearization, ISIS defeat
- You Should Care That Richard Spencer's Wife Says He Abused Her
- Trump adviser Roger Stone says he's falsely accused, 'will not testify against the president' in Russia investigation
- Maduro foe says he's ready to replace the president
- Texas burglar bleeds to death in home he targeted: police
- Former Infowars editor Jerome Corsi says he expects Mueller indictment soon: 'My only crime was that I support Donald Trump'
- 'Green Book' Director Peter Farrelly Says He Was "Very Aware of the White Savior Trope"
- Tom Steyer Says He Won't Run For President In 2020
Liberty's Falwell says he's target of "attempted coup" have 336 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at September 11, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.