A six-year-old girl snatched from her mother’s arms outside a school in South Africa has been found alive and unharmed.
Angeline de Jager had just parked her car at the school gates to walk daughter Amy-Lee inside when the four kidnappers in balaclavas struck at 7.40am yesterday.
She was dragged screaming from her distraught mother into a 4×4 which sped off from the school in the town of Vanderbijlpark, an hour’s drive south of Johannesburg.
Shortly afterwards her father Wynand, a F1 powerboat racer, received a mobile call demanding a two million rand ransom (£110,000) for his daughter’s safe release.
A nationwide manhunt was launched, with a private investigator who specialises in tracing missing children drafted in along with hostage negotiators.
Amy-Lee’s aunt Louise Horn today revealed the kidnappers had dumped the distraught girl on a street corner at 2am.
“Everything is okay, she wasn’t harmed. The family is still very heartbroken, but we are just thankful that she is alive,” she said.
“It was the longest 19 hours of our families lives and we are really glad she is back with us.
“The first thing she did after being reunited with her mum and dad was ask for a burger and her brother.” She said no ransom had been paid.
Police believe the kidnappers panicked and realised the little girl was “too hot to handle” following massive publicity over her disappearance.
“Her photo was all over the internet and the news and we think they thought they were better off cutting their losses and ditching Amy-Lee,” a source said.
- Jersey Shore’s Ronnie Ortiz-Magro ‘tasered and arrested for kidnapping daughter in drug fuelled rampage and threatening girlfriend with a knife’
- Iowa mom accused of abducting daughters gets probation
- Estranged husband of missing Connecticut mother is caught on camera 'dumping items splattered with his wife's blood in trash bags at 30 locations' as his girlfriend posts bail and hides her face while leaving court in ankle monitor
- Man charged in kidnapping of visiting Chinese scholar who's now presumed dead
- Couple 'murdered homeless woman, 39, and then dumped her body in bin that was incinerated before using her identity to claim her benefits'
- Kidnapped teen Jayme Closs is seen for the first time since she escaped from a Wisconsin cabin as she is honored with a hero award at the State Capitol
- Man sold 13-yr-old daughter for Rs 7 lakh; she is found, is 4 months pregnant
- What we know about the University of Illinois kidnapping case
- Kidnapped Immigration officers recount ordeal, thank Navy
- FBI: Sex Workers Escaped From Long Island Man Trying To Kidnap Them