Heavy rain can be expected on Iceland’s west coast today, according to the Icelandic Met office. An orange warning is in place for Faxaflói and Breiðafjörður in West Iceland. High water levels are anticipated in rivers and streams, as well as increased runoff, increasing the risk of flash floods and landslides that can cause travel disruption and damages, especially on Snæfellsnes peninsula. Southern Snæfellsned, Mýrar, Borgarfjörður and Hvalfjörður are mentioned specifically, as are the Westfjords. People are encouraged to clear autumn leaves away from grates to prevent water damage.
The Iceland Meteorological office states that today will be another wet day in the southwest of Iceland, but less precipitation in other parts of the country.
Heavy rains on the west coast have already caused some problems, with some smaller roads closed due to landslides and floods. The Icelandic Coast Guard helicopter was dispatched yesterday to the aid of tourists who had gotten stuck by Langavatn where the road was ruptured due to flooding. The ICE-SAR teams couldn’t reach the people by land so the helicopter picked up three people and brought them to Reykjavík. According to a farmer who lives nearby, the rain is causing small streams to behave like rivers.
Tourists travelling in the area are encouraged to drive carefully and slow down when approaching possibly flooded parts of the road.
Iceland Coast GuardRoad in West Iceland ruptured due to heavy rain.
- Heavy rain causes floods across Britain with more weather woe in sight as the tail-end of 600-mile-wide Hurricane Lorenzo could lash the country next week bringing 70mph winds and arctic blasts
- Another October Monsoon: 2-3" Rain Expected Sunday PM Into Wednesday
- Scots braced for wash-out Christmas with heavy rain and strong winds in the forecast
- Britain to be soaked by barrage of downpours as heavy rain batters UK
- Storm Florence set to batter UK bringing heavy rain and gusts of up to 65mph
- Heavy rain and wind forecast due to brutal Icelandic storm
- Snow, sleet and heavy rain as bitter wintry snap grips UK
- Wicked wintry mix of heavy rain, sleet and snow coming to UK
- Unusual Heatwave To Sweep West Of Iceland Today And Tomorrow