As Google turns 21 today, there can be no better time to review the last 21 years of the all-powerful search engine. On 27 September 1998, Sergey Brin and Larry Page launched an early prototype of what they called a ‘large scale search engine’ while studying for their PhDs at Stanford University. Read more: Google advertising overtakes rival Facebook in app downloads market Explaining the name, the pair noted: “We chose our systems name, Google, because it is a common spelling of googol, or 10100 and fits well with our goal of building very large-scale search engines.” The scale of this company’s expansion has been unimaginable. In just two decades years, the experimental project of these two students has become integral to the lives of many, while they have become billionaires. In 1999, Google moved its offices to Silicon Valley and began to enjoy extensive growth over the next year. In 2000, then-web giant Yahoo chose Google as its default search browser. The verb ‘to google’ was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2006, meaning “to type words into the search engine Google in order to find information about somebody/something”. Google’s search engine still dominates the Western world as… Read full this story
- GOP senators demand answers from Google over the tech giant’s 'smart speaker relationship' with Huawei
- Facebook, Google and other tech giants should be broken up says inventor of the web
- Amazon vs Google: Which smart home giant won 2019?
- When Tech Giants Blanket the World
- Tesla and Apple among tech giants accused of aiding child labour in Africa
- Japan to tighten screws on tech giants to ensure transparency
- Vingroup partners with foreign tech giants to make 5G smartphones
- Most tech giants paid their share of tax during 2018 financial year, ATO reveals
- Antitrust nearly slew Microsoft. Can it adapt to tech giants like Facebook?
- Apple, Microsoft and Alphabet Among US Tech Giants Sued Over Cobalt Mine Child Labour Deaths in Congo
Google turns 21: US tech giant is now old enough to drink have 320 words, post on www.cityam.com at September 27, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.