BBC salary: Radio host ‘astonished’ as callers defend Lineker pay
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Gary Lineker is the BBC's highest-paid presenter – earning a mammoth £1.75million per year.
But the Match of the Day host has offered to take a cut on his wages as he negotiates a new contract.
Speaking to the Mirror, Lineker said: "I love my job at the BBC and I enjoy doing it.
"I'm currently negotiating a new contract with them and I'm volunteering to take less."
The 58-year-old was also quoted saying to a friend: "It was the right thing to do."
Lineker's decision follows in the wake of the row over the axing of free TV licences for over-75s and the corporation's efforts to tackle the gender pay gap.
The former England striker took a pay cut of £500,000 in 2013 to continue presenting Match of the Day.
He has hosted the popular Premier League highlights show since 1999 and also presents some the BBC's live FA Cup coverage.
Gary Lineker: Discover his net worth (Image: GETTY)
Gary Lineker has presented Match of the Day since 1999 (Image: BBC)
What is Gary Lineker's net worth?
Lineker's BBC salary is not his only source of income.
The TV star also works for BT Sport presenting their Champions League coverage but his pay has not been disclosed.
Lineker has been partnered with Walkers crisps since 1995, a deal which now earns him £1m per year according to Goal.
He also has his own production company called Goalhanger Films.
According to The Richest, Lineker's overall net worth is estimated at £30m.
Gary Lineker has amassed an incredible fortune (Image: GETTY)
Gary Lineker makes bald joke on Match of the Day
Gary Lineker's career at a glance
Lineker became a professional footballer in 1978 after signing a deal with his hometown club Leicester City.
He then joined Everton in 1985 before a three-year spell with La Liga giants Barcelona.
Lineker scored 42 goals in 103 games during his time abroad before joining Tottenham in 1989.
The striker also played for England throughout his career, scoring 48 goals in 80 appearances.
Lineker finished his career with a spell in Japan playing for Nagoya Grampus Eight before turning to media work.
After with a punditry role on BBC Radio 5 Live, Lineker took over from Des Lynam on Match of the Day.
- The top 12 earners at the BBC are all MEN with Gary Lineker's £1.75m pay packet making him highest earner ahead of Chris Evans, Graham Norton and Steve Wright
- Six male BBC presenters agree salary cut amid gender pay row
- Does Bradley Walsh have a wife, what’s the Soccer Aid star’s net worth and when was he on Coronation Street?
- How tall is Ant McPartlin, what’s his net worth and how many children does the I’m a Celeb host have?
- Danniella Westbrook's net worth and how she lost millions with raging drug habit
- Lineker has Shearer and Wright in fits of laughter as he brands Liverpool v Newcastle the ‘Michael Owen derby’ on Match of the Day
- How much is Kylie Jenner worth, was she secretly married to Travis Scott and is she still friends with Jordyn Woods?
- BBC hires its first gender and identity correspondent to cover issues such as sexuality and race - weeks after it was revealed that it has no women in its top 10 earners
- BBC presenters' salaries over £150,000 to be made public
- YouTube star James Charles ‘in hiding’ after brutal feud with Tati Westbrook
- BBC gender pay row: Carrie Gracie accuses bosses of 'adding insult to injury'
- Harry Wilson scores ‘gorgeous’ free kick v Man City for Bournemouth star’s 11th goal from outside box since start of last season, more than any player in England
- From Zlatan to Pique, eight stars who played for both Man Utd and Barcelona – and how they got on
- A second salary while you sleep! Airbnb hosts reveal the handsome financial gains reaped from renting out their homes to tourists - with one raking in six figures
- Who is Joe Sugg? YouTube star and Zoella's brother is Strictly Come Dancing 2018 finalist
- Meghan Markle reveals that Michelle Obama answered all her Vogue interview questions over EMAIL - and admits she wishes she'd made a phone call
- Fury at power cut that brought Britain to its knees: Government launches probe into mystery simultaneous failure of wind farm and gas-fired power station as officials insist there is 'no evidence' of a cyber attack
- How the Trump Tax Cuts Would Reshape (and/or Break) Our Economy
- Kevin McCloud's Grandest Designs! Presenter reveals his top five builds in tonight's 20th anniversary episode - including a £10k shipping container project in Northern Ireland that he admits is his favourite EVER
- Revealed: how senior Laos officials cut deals with animal traffickers
Gary Lineker net worth: Huge fortune of BBC star revealed as he offers to take salary cut have 922 words, post on www.express.co.uk at September 18, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.