Like other women who gave birth at the Tuam mother and baby home in Ireland, the nuns didn’t forbid O’Flaherty’s mother from seeing her newborn son again, they just didn’t tell her who her baby was, or that he was in the same building. The very same home where she was required to stay for 12 months after giving birth. “My mother could have picked me up, but she couldn’t have necessarily known,” O’Flaherty told CNN. The boy would stay in the home for another five and a half years. He doesn’t remember his time inside; his first memory of it was from the day that he left. Today, at 71, O’Flaherty retraces the steps he took that day with a group that’s become like family. They walk in front of an unassuming patch of grass, a square bit of land flanked by a children’s playground on a housing estate. Behind them, a Virgin Mary statue hangs on the site’s gray walls, a perimeter of aging stone punctuated by green vines that climb over the parapet. In the corner, a tiny pair of children’s shoes are attached to the wall in memoriam. Below their feet lie the bodies of hundreds… Read full this story
- Survivor of Bethany home hits out at Irish government delays
- Call the midwife: Three Northern Ireland Ireland women reveal what the job is really like
- Nebraska Medical Center gets its first set of quadruplets in a decade
- Mom says medics didn't take daughter to hospital, saying she couldn't afford it
- Give Mothers -- And All Women -- Space To Talk About Their Pain
- Why New York hasn't contained the largest and longest measles outbreak in decades
- Who is Paul Joseph Fronczak, was he stolen as a baby in Chicago and what did the FBI kidnapping case discover?
- Parents won’t be able to buy teething gels in supermarkets any more as experts say they don’t work
- Obama Administration Partially Lifts Secrecy on Classified Cybersecurity Project
- A mother and child reunion -- via the Web
For decades, Ireland's mother and baby homes were shrouded in secrecy. Some say the veil still hasn't lifted have 341 words, post on www.cnn.com at September 9, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.