Police officers in the Clay Cross area are reminding people to be alert following reports of a gift card telephone scam.
There have been a number of calls from residents in the Wingerworth and Clay Cross area who have contacted police after taking a phone call from someone claiming to be from their bank.
They were told that money had been taken from their bank account and sent abroad.
In order to get that money back, the caller said that in order to get the money back, that the person needed to purchase a large amount of Google Play vouchers, and give them the codes to verify their account.
Similar scams have been reported in Derbyshire in the past, and in March the police issued a warning about scammers telephoning victims, claiming to work for HMRC and that the victim owes money which they can take payment for in the form of vouchers.
Tammy Barnes, fraud protect officer for Derbyshire Police, said: “Phone scams similar to these have been reported in the past, and are generally attempt to target elderly and vulnerable people.
“Remember that gift cards and vouchers can be used only to purchase goods or services on the website of the business issuing it and that no reputable organisation would ask for payment of a bill or debt using vouchers or gift cards.
“You should never buy gift cards on the back of an unsolicited call, no matter how convincing the caller sounds, or how urgent or alarming their excuse may seem. Voucher and gift card codes should only ever be revealed on official websites as full or part payment for goods or services.”
If you receive a call of this nature please report it to Action Fraud on Fraud 0300 123 2040 or www.actionfraud.police.uk.
- Google blames the customer in gift card scam
- Lidl shoppers warned over gift card scam email
- Millions warned about tax credit scam by HMRC
- Halifax issues warning to Britons as many receive ‘alert’ text message - 'isn’t genuine!'
- WhatsApp users sent urgent warning after surge in scams that block accounts
- Mastermind Microsoft thief who stole $10MILLION in Xbox gift cards to buy ‘lake house, boats and planes’ caught
- Virgin Money is now offering customers a free £150 gift card - do you qualify?
- Vanessa Feltz issues warning to This Morning viewers over 'urgent' scam messages
- AARP Says Beware Of Criminals Using Religion To Target People In ‘Do Me A Favor’ Scams
- Swimmers warned to avoid deceptive stunning blue lagoon which is like 'a bath of bleach'
- Parents warned by 'horrified' police after 20 kids break into locked football pitches
- Royal Mail scam: Natwest issues alert as thousands conned into 'giving away bank details'
- Frederick Sheriff’s Office Warns About Growing Scam Targeting Residents Where Caller Poses As Law Enforcement
- NatWest scam: Warning as Britons attacked by suspicious text message - 'be vigilant!'
- 'We have filed a case under your name': How tax scams make $851m in a year
- Fresh warnings to avoid tax time scams
- NH Woman impersonated prosecutor, attempted to drop stalking and drug charges against herself, police say
- NatWest issues worrying scam warning - filling out online surveys could put you at risk
- Costco Facebook scam claims to be giving away free Christmas food boxes
- Safety Experts Say Be Aware Of Amazon Prime Day Scams
Derbyshire Police issue warning after gift card telephone scam have 546 words, post on www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk at September 3, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.