Tributes have been paid to influential singer-songwriter Daniel Johnston who has died at the age of 58.
The revered musician, a cult figure among fans of the US indie rock scene, died from “natural causes”, his family said.
“The Johnston family is deeply saddened to announce the death of their brother, Daniel Johnston,” his family said in a statement. “He passed away from natural causes this morning at his home outside of Houston, Texas.
“Daniel was a singer, songwriter, an artist, and a friend to all. Although he struggled with mental health issues for much of his adult life, Daniel triumphed over his illness through his prolific output of art and songs.
“He inspired countless fans, artists, and songwriters with his message that no matter how dark the day, ‘the sun shines down on me’ and ‘true love will find you in the end.’”
Johnston was born in Sacramento, California and began recording music in the late 1970s.
His fans included Nirvana singer-songwriter Kurt Cobain, The Simpsons creator Matt Groening and singer Tom Waits.
Following news of Johnston’s death, numerous cultural figures paid tribute.
Lord Of The Rings actor Elijah Wood wrote: “Daniel Johnston; what a gentle, beautiful treasure. So sad to hear you’ve left us.”
American singer-songwriter Beck wrote: “RIP.”
Documentary filmmaker Jon Ronson described him as a “true, great talent”.
And filmmaker Judd Apatow said he was “so sad to hear of the death of the great Daniel Johnston”.
Johnston first found fame after moving to Austin, Texas, in the 1980s where he began handing out mixtapes in the street.
After Cobain was spotted wearing a T-shirt featuring Johnston’s Hi, How Are You Album, his popularity increased and in 1994 he signed with a major record label.
But He inspired countless fans, artists, and songwriters with his message mainstream success never followed. Johnston’s most recent studio album was 2012’s Space Ducks.
In 2005, he was the subject of the documentary The Devil And Daniel Johnston, which won the documentary directing award at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival.
- Smokebrush to present Daniel Johnston documentary screening and Q&A
- Cleveland singer-songwriter Hannah Stak premieres new song 'Table For Two'
- Singer-songwriter James Bay’s a movie and a shaker with his second album
- Singer-songwriter Gretchen Peters set to perform at Pocklington Arts Centre
- #Showbiz: British singer-songwriter Dua Lipa mesmerises fans with powerful vocals
- Singer-songwriter Beth Nielsen Chapman to help Knoxville survivors 'face cancer' with creativity
- Blade sits down with country singer-songwriter Devin Dawson
- Debut album and video released by singer songwriter from Ickwell
- Platinum selling singer songwriter Shontelle makes her comeback alongside St. Lucian duo Lu City
- Blues rock singer Kanchan Daniel explains psychological challenges of musicians