PHILADELPHIA – The contest “Going from Childhood to Taras” is one of many programs in Ukraine sponsored by the United Ukrainian American Relief Committee (UUARC). The purpose of this competition is to promote and foster patriotism and identity among the youth of Ukraine through study and recitations of poems by Taras Shevchenko. The winners of the contest – 28 children from Luhansk Oblast (in May), 27 each from the oblasts of Ivano-Frankivsk and Donetsk (in June), and 28 from Mykolayiv Oblast (in August) – were rewarded with a trip to Kyiv, the capital of Ukraine, and Kaniv, where the poet is buried. In Kaniv, they paid their respects to the national bard of Ukraine, recited his works and sang songs. The children enjoyed an excursion to the Shevchenko Museum and also to Monk’s Hill (“Chernecha Hora”), where they could take in the amazing scenery of the mighty Dnipro River. In Kyiv, they visited various memorable sites: St. Sophia Square, St. Michael Square and the Heroes’ Alley of the Heavenly Hundred, dedicated to those who perished on the Maidan during the Revolution of Dignity. The children returned home – to Ivano-Frankivsk, Luhansk, Donetsk and Mykolaiv oblasts – tired, but happy. Such… Read full this story
- Youth Month inspires youths' creativity
- Vancouver Charity Combatting Youth Homelessness Selected as One of Canada’s Top 10 Impact Charities for the 3rd Year in a Row
- Rep. Blasts GOP for 'Lying' About Impeachment Witness: 'To Question Lt. Col. Vindman's Patriotism Is Disgusting'
- A patriot takes on his President and Kurt Volker changes his story
- Deputy PM urges fostering start-up spirit for national prosperity
- Focusing On Bad Opponents Is Missing Forest For Trees And Other Leftover Patriots Thoughts
- Josh McDaniels Goes Deep On State Of Patriots Offense
- School District Tells Parents Their Kids Will Be Sent to Foster Care if Lunch Debt is Not Settled
- Washington State Has Paid $84M in Settlements on Behalf of the Department of Children, Youth and Families in 2019
- Pope condemns violence against women at World Youth Day
Competition fosters patriotism among youth of Ukraine have 328 words, post on www.ukrweekly.com at September 19, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.