The main bridge out of a Derbyshire town is to be closed temporarily.
Matlock Bridge, in Snitterton Road, takes motorists out of Matlock and onto the A6.
But drivers will soon have to find an alternative route as the one-way bridge will be closed on Monday for around two weeks.
Derbyshire County Council said it needs to shut the bridge to carry out flood protection work.
A large crane will be in place during the project.
Councillor Simon Spencer, cabinet member for highways, transport and infrastructure, said: “We will carry out the work as quickly as water levels and the weather allow and re-open the bridge as soon as possible.
“We apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank everyone for their patience while we make these improvements to flood protection in the town.”
More news that could affect your journey
Diversions will be in place during the closure. Motorists will be taken along Bakewell Road and then back down Derwent Way, via a roundabout.
Pedestrians will need to use Dale Road, cross over the footbridge into Hall Leys Park, walk through the park to the town centre and vice versa. If the bridge can safely be opened to pedestrians outside of working hours, a council spokesman said it will be.
The work is to protect the bridge and reduce the risk of flooding. The council will fill in holes in the river bed and gaps around bridge supports, caused by erosion. The Environment Agency (EA) will also be removing a build-up of silt.
Once the work is complete it would allow water to drain away more efficiently if the river were to flood.
Nick Le Mare, from the Environment Agency, said: “This work, in partnership with Derbyshire County Council, will not only improve flood resilience, but also help prevent further erosion at Matlock Derwent Bridge.”
- Army begins reconstruction of collapsed bridge liking Kaduna-Katsina-Zamfara
- Fortnite season 6, week 3 challenges: Timed trials locations
- Interstate connectors to be closed in downtown Houston until at least February
- In Mississippi, closed bridges and crumbling infrastructure threaten lives and livelihoods
- Jeffrey Epstein told guards weeks before he hanged himself that someone tried to KILL HIM: Questions mount over why billionaire pedophile was taken off suicide watch just as sex slave lawsuit named powerful friends including Prince Andrew
- India on the cusp of restarting spend cycle, you need to know where to look: Kenneth Andrade, Old Bridge Capital
- 'SNL' Host Phoebe Waller-Bridge: Everything to Know About the 'Fleabag' Star
- Deer Park reopens 128-year-old bridge after $436K restoration
- Frankie Bridge showcased a stunning nude dress at the Pride of Britain Awards 2018
- Frankie Bridge's £25 Marks & Spencer PJs are perfect for Christmas Eve