Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang hailed the quality of Bukayo Saka after the Arsenal teenager scored his first senior goal in Thursday’s 3-0 win at Eintracht Frankfurt.
Saka and Aubameyang both struck in the final five minutes as the Gunners – last season’s beaten finalists – saw off the Bundesliga outfit, who reached the last four of this competition last season.
Eighteen-year-old Saka caught the eye having been handed a start by Unai Emery, with his late goal capping a fine performance.
Aubameyang took to Twitter to post a picture of himself celebrating along with Saka, as the Gunners got off to the best possible start in Europe.
Emery was also asked about the English teenager after the match, but opted to focus on the displays of some of his other players too.
“Maybe with his goal and performance he was taking confidence, he was finishing really strong,” he told reporters.
“Also with Emile (Smith Rowe), after his injury. He played for the first time this season. (Joe) Willock started a little slow at the beginning but progressively he was feeling very better with a good performance.
“(Lucas) Torreira worked a lot, (Granit) Xhaka played very seriously in that match. Everybody can be happy.
“We know tonight that match was difficult. They were very strong here. They’re a very offensive team and defensively we needed to work, sometimes deep, sometimes with their full-backs very deep, crossing a lot to the strikers.
Mirror Football’s Top Stories
“We spoke and worked the transition, if we were organised defensively and with a good pressing against them.
“We did that. We had the possibility with the young players to create chances and help them, also sharing with experienced players. Their performance tonight was good. It’s our way.”
- Aubameyang sends message to Emery over Arsenal role
- Mesut Ozil sends message to Arsenal team-mates after Burnley win
- Man Utd fans love Alexis Sanchez's celebration as they send message to Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil sends message to Arsenal fans after returning to first team
- Ozil sends message to Arsenal team-mates after Chelsea omission
- Arsene Wenger sends message to Arsenal over Aaron Ramsey contract dispute
- Danny Welbeck sends message to Arsenal fans as he shares picture on crutches
- Per Mertesacker sends message to Arsenal star Mesut Ozil
- Denis Suarez sends message to Arsenal fans following Premier League debut