D eepMind has been hailed as one of the greatest British success stories of the modern age. But when Google announced that it had bought the London-based artificial intelligence lab in 2014 for £400m, few people had heard of the company or its two founders, Demis Hassabis and Mustafa Suleyman. Today, DeepMind is supposedly on the way to creating an "artificial general intelligence" that will work like the human mind does, and is believed to be one of the most prestigious AI companies on Earth. But the road to success hasn't been easy. This week, it emerged that its enigmatic co-founder Suleyman has been placed on leave. In a tweet on Wednesday night Suleyman confirmed he was taking “personal time for a break to recharge” and that he would return to DeepMind “soon”. Suleyman led the charge to turn DeepMind's research into products which could be integrated into Google's products, helping it to reduce its data centre cooling bill by 40pc and improve its Google Translate service. A spokesman for the firm said that Suleyman is "taking time out right now after 10 hectic years".
- This Boise charter school faces risk of closure after years of mounting debt
- UK unveils sweeping plan to penalize Facebook, Google for harmful online content
- Trump calls for unity, stands firm on wall, leaves Socialist Dems on defensive at State of Union
- POLITICO Playbook: Hillary says she won’t run, Stew leaving the Senate and Tim Alberta releases his book cover
- Financial troubles, protective orders in Colorado Springs candidates' pasts
- Charter school founder spent school money on trips, spiritual healers
- Who Benefits from 'Black Girl Magic'? Google's Latest Ad Reignites Enduring Issues of Erasure
- Edkey charter schools deep in debt helping low-income Arizona students
- Lakewood SCHI founder's corruption trial goes to jury Friday
- Lakewood SCHI founder trial: This is why the jury is taking so long
With £1bn in debt and its founder placed on leave, is Google's DeepMind in trouble? have 310 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at August 23, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.