A Honduran court has convicted the wife of former President Porfirio Lobo on graft charges, including siphoning funds from programs designed to help poor children, a judicial official confirmed. Rosa Elena Bonilla was found guilty of diverting some 18.3 million Honduran lempiras ($1.21 million) in public funds plus international donations that were originally earmarked for social programs. The funds were then used to pay for personal medical bills, building projects, her children’s private school tuition and jewellery. The conviction carries a sentence of between 58 years and 87 years, which will be set next week, according to court spokesman Carlos Silva. The case was pushed by local prosecutors as well as the Organisation of American States’ Mission to Support the Fight against Corruption and Impunity in Honduras, known locally as MACCIH. Bonilla’s husband, Porfirio Lobo, was elected president of the Central American nation in late 2009 after a military coup ousted then-President Manuel Zelaya, and he served until 2014. Arrested on the graft charges early last year, Bonilla was charged with operating a network from 2011 to 2015 that cashed over 70 checks purporting to be legitimate transactions that in part were meant to purchase shoes for poor students. Instead,… Read full this story
- Feds arrest Dante Starks, alleged fixer in corruption-wracked Miami-Dade city
- Zimbabwe: Of Corrupt Tender Deals and Elite Enrichment
- Nigeria: Ex-Trump Aide Insists He Calls African Countries Shithole
- Winnie Madikizela-Mandela: Tarnished leader of South Africa’s struggle to make apartheid history
- From feted leader to disgraced crook: how corruption destroyed Lula's bid for a second chance of ruling Brazil
- Malawi Top Prosecutor Warns Against Discharging of Gender-Based Violence Cases
- South Africa: Vicki Momberg Case
- Rwanda: Govt Commits to Halve Malaria Cases in Five Years
- Nigeria's Lassa Fever Cases Decline to Lowest Level in Four Months
- South Africa: 'Bring It On Bloody Racists... I'm Born Ready!'
Wife of ex-leader convicted in corruption case have 301 words, post on www.odt.co.nz at August 20, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.