Gillingham boss Steve Evans felt his side did more than enough to win Tuesday’s Carabao Cup tie – but missed chances cost them.
The Gills has a penalty saved, hit the woodwork twice and missed a number of good chances against League 2 Newport.
Visitors Newport made the Gills pay for their failure to kill the tie off, winning on penalties after the game ended 2-2.
“We were dominant and the performance was good,” said the Gills manager.
“We had to deal with a bit of an aerial threat and that is how (Michael) Flynn’s team play, they just launch it.
“I thought we played some good stuff and if we had taken our chances we could have scored six or seven. We didn’t take our chances.
“It was a game of missed chances. We played a lot better than on the Saturday, there was a lot of good play, a lot on the front foot and we should be through in the cup.”
It ended up a game of penalties. The Gills were awarded three, scoring two of them, but Newport converted one of their own in stoppage-time to take the tie to a shoot-out.
Evans said: “We got three penalties and there was not one that anyone in the ground will dispute.
“Everyone in the ground apart from the Newport boys would dispute the equaliser (Padraig Amond scored from the penalty spot to make it 2-2) at the end there because it was never a penalty. It was given for a tug by Mikael Ndjoli and there is no tug.
“I have looked at it on the video, slowed it down, there was no tug. That is Mr Kettle (the referee) for you. The boy who he was meant to have touched said he didn’t get touched, he slipped.
“The referee has given them an equaliser and penalty shoot-outs are always what they are, but we lost the cup tie because of our inability to take chances. We made a lot of chances, and probably between the front boys we could have had six or seven.
“We are disappointed, of course we are disappointed to have gone out, but we build on it and wish Newport every success in the next round.”
- BBC News presenter George Alagiah reveals he did not want to know his chances of surviving bowel cancer
- NYC Cyclist Deaths: ‘He Didn’t Stand A Chance,’ NYC’s 19th Rider Killed When Car Slams Into SUV In Brooklyn
- Tom Felton EXCLUSIVE: Actor feared Ophelia co-star Daisy Ridley 'didn't like' him - but later realised it was because she's a HUGE Harry Potter fan and was 'freaking out that Draco was her brother'
- 'I could have used my birth plan as loo paper!' Mother-of-six Madeleine West reflects on her first pregnancy and says all her preparations were wasted
- 13 ‘Farewell’ Tours That Didn’t Stick — From Mötley Crüe to Kiss
- Pearl Jam’s ‘Vs.’: 10 Things You Didn’t Know
- Report: Suns didn’t pursue D’Angelo Russell, fearing influence on Devin Booker
- Bob Dylan’s ‘Nashville Skyline’: 10 Things You Didn’t Know
- Roy Keane: I didn’t mean to deliberately injure Alf Inge Haaland
- Alok Verma case: Govt didn’t share Justice Patnaik’s report, says Mallikarjun Kharge