The UK’s new Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has announced London’s plans to “fire up economic relationships with non-European partners” and create a new alliance to confront Iran and Russia after his country’s withdrawal from the EU. “That means working with them now to ensure a smooth transition of our trading arrangements after Brexit and means quickly moving to wide-ranging trade deals that boost business, lower prices for consumers and respect our high standards,” Raab told a London news conference on Monday ahead of his working visit to North America. He also signalled a readiness to “build a stronger alliance to uphold international rule of law and tackle the issues” that Raab said posed a threat to the UK’s security. According to him, the new alliance will specifically grapple with what he described as “Iran’s menacing behaviour or Russia’s destabilising actions in Europe” as well as “the threat from terrorism and climate change”. He did not elaborate. Raab’s statement comes amid tensions between London and Tehran, which has been simmering since Royal Marines seized the Iranian oil tanker Grace 1 in the Strait of Gibraltar on 4 July over its alleged violation of EU sanctions. Tehran denies the allegations, slamming the… Read full this story
- Who is Dominic Raab? 15 things you should know about the new Foreign Secretary
- Remainers could vote tactically to boot Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab out of his seat, poll suggests
- US to Keep Strait of Hormuz Open But Building Maritime Alliance to Take Time - Pompeo
- UK investigates biggest Brexit funder Arron Banks
- Boris Johnson unveils new Aussie-style points-based immigration system to curb flood of unskilled migrants into UK
- Merkel Could Be Willing to Renegotiate Brexit With New PM - Jeremy Hunt
- Brexit: UK negotiators 'to step up tempo' on new deal talks
- Russian spy: What now for the UK/Russia relationship?
- Former Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab joins race for Prime Minister
- Brexit weekly briefing: snap election looks increasingly likely
UK Foreign Secretary Raab Vows to ‘Build a Stronger Alliance’ Against Russia, Iran After Brexit have 320 words, post on sputniknews.com at August 6, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.