Giannelli Imbula says he made a huge mistake coming to Stoke City but is hoping to find a new club.
The 26 year old joined Stoke for £18.3m in February 2016 after a short spell at Porto, but has made only 26 first team appearances for City.
He has spent the last two seasons out on loan – with Toulouse and Rayo Vallecano – and it has been clear he has no future back in the Potteries under Nathan Jones.
The midfielder has discussed his future in the French media with RMC Sport, saying: “I’m still in Stoke , I’ve been training since July 1. By mutual agreement, I train with the U23, I’m waiting for a medium or long-term project to be able to resume the thread of my career quietly and find the pleasure I took last year in Spain.
“My desires? Find a club that will trust me in the medium or long term, a project in which I will be able to settle, These last two-three years, I’ve moved a lot, I’d like to settle down, have some stability, Ligue 1, I’m interested, I’m open to all projects, there are contacts with some clubs
He added: “I do not have any regrets. I have a little more experience today, maybe I’ve thought a little bit more, or some other way. But it’s the past The worst choice (of my career) was to come to Stoke. I could have been a little more patient in Porto, trying to adapt to the championship … especially we had changed coaches, I could have had the opportunity to play, the most unfortunate choice, I think it’s Stoke’s, now it’s over, I do not want to go back over.”
Imbula was linked with a move to Club Brugge in the summer.
He was brought to Stoke by Mark Hughes having been overshadowed by the emergence of Ruben Neves at Porto.
Hughes said at the time: ““He’s a defensive midfielder and he’s got a lot of attributes in terms of understanding that role, but he can play in a three as well. I like that flexibility in players because it gives me more options.
“He’s a good young player with good power, good ability on the ball, a good range of passing and will add to the quality we already have.”
StokeonTrentLive has launched a WhatsApp service dedicated to keeping you up to date with the latest Stoke City news! Click here to join and follow the instructions on your phone. Your number won’t be shared with anyone else in the group. If you want more information on signing up, or if this link doesn’t work, click here.
- The 19 worst original names of famous bands
- News Phoenix Suns seal NBA's worst record
- Impossible choices: a true story
- Who really won the red carpet? The best and WORST fashion moments from the Dally Ms and Brownlows - and the code that came out on top
- What ‘Molly’ — the Silicon Valley elite’s drug of choice at sex parties — does to your brain and body
- Case of ‘spiked’ restaurant meal taps into vegans’ worst fears
- Amazon’s 26 notable original TV shows, ranked from worst to best
- Every item on Taco Bell’s new $1 menu, ranked from worst to best
- 12 fan-favorite shows Netflix has revived or rebooted, ranked from worst to best
- ‘It was my worst nightmare’: French ice dancer’s wardrobe malfunction broadcast around the world