Subs Bench is back for another conversation with a Bristol sporting personality – and this week it’s a special edition.
This week, our presenters Nigel Turner and Richard Latham met British bantamweight boxer and Bristolian Duane Winters – son of gym owner Chris ‘Skemer’ Winters – at Skemer’s Gym in Knowle West.
Winters is preparing for his title fight against Kash Farooq in Glasgow on Saturday night.
A big Bristol Rovers fan who calls himself ‘Gasman’ after his beloved club, Winters says it will be the “biggest night of his career” so far as he takes on British champion Farooq for the famous Lord Lonsdale Belt.
Duane and his father discuss the fighter’s roots in boxing, starting at Empire Boxing Gym in east Bristol at 16 and leading to a 10-year amateur career and eventually turning professional.
His punishing training schedule is detaled and we also hear about Skemer’s own curtailed career which started at the age of nine before an eye injury.
The fight will be shown on BBC Scotland from 10.15pm on Saturday night.
- Blu-ray leading title fight
- US Court Allows Release Of Bench Transcripts In AT&T Merger Fight
- McGregor vs. Khabib fight: Start time, PPV price, how to stream, odds and more
- Reynor Takes Crown At Starcraft 2 2019 WCS Winter Europe
- Purged officer speaks out after escaping from Turkish jail
- Winter Storm Petra: Which Areas Are Expected To See Snow, Ice, Freezing Rain?
- Berlin 2013: U.K. Indicates Hunger for Horror Titles
- More Extreme Weather? Airlines Waive Change Fees Ahead Of Winter Storm Taylor
- Legal Bare-Knuckle Fighting Makes Bloody Debut in Wyoming
- A Michelin tire expert explains why winter tires are worth the investment