Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is looking to make this year a new era at Old Trafford after some big changes in the club’s direction.
The Norwegian has demanded Ed Woodward only sign young, British talents – with Harry Maguire, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James arriving for a combined total fee of around £150m
There were also pursuits for Sean Longstaff and Jadon Sancho but these fell through.
And the Red Devils kicked off their season in the best way imaginable after thrashing top six rivals Chelsea 4-0 at Old Trafford, with Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and James all netting.
It follows a strong pre-season with Solskjaer demanding his side play quick, direct football – but it not just his attack he wants to improve.
He wants his defence to play better football, passing it out from the back and building from there instead of lumping it forward.
And that means a new system for De Gea, who is not used to playing with the ball at his feet.
It has led to Solskjaer demanding the Spaniard stays behind for extra training sessions to improve his ball skills, according to The Sun .
An Old Trafford source told The Sun: “He has been training exclusively with his feet, at least half-an-hour at a time.
“The coaches have him fired repeatedly with ball returns under pressure with various passing options.
“They are also doing it because of the recent new rule changes of allowing two defenders inside the penalty area at goal kick.
“He has been clipping balls beyond the 18-yard box and into the full-backs and has worked well so far.”
Latest Man Utd news
The 28-year-old is also yet to commit his future to the club, with his contract expiring next summer.
But the latest reports indicate that he is ready to sign a new £350,000-a-week, making him the best-paid goalkeeper in the world.
- AFCON : Super Eagles hold first training session in Asaba
- Gerard Piqué jeered by spectators at Spain’s World Cup training session
- Andy Ruiz Jr holds open training session after 'turning down offer from WWE'
- There's no stopping her! Heavily pregnant Michelle Bridges reveals her enormous baby bump as she hits the gym for a WEIGHT TRAINING session
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heaps praise on defender Marcos Rojo after resurrecting his Man Utd career
- 'Exercise' vs 'training': Trainer, 31, reveals the difference a proper workout plan can make by sharing her drastic body transformation
- Civil rights leader says Starbucks training just the first step in rooting out implicit bias
- 5,000 govt schoolteachers get trained in pedagogy, leadership
- Michael Barrymore, 67, smokes a cigarette before hitting the rink for Dancing On Ice training with glam partner Alex Murphy... who claims star has 'skyrocketed' during practice
- Train fat cats receive £1.2 billion in share payouts as rail network crumbles