Loud screaming was reportedly heard after a man was slashed multiple times to the face, head and hands.
Emergency services were called to Morston Avenue in Kirkby to reports that a man had been injured before a man in his 20s was found with multiple slash wounds.
It is believed that the victim was bleeding heavily before paramedics arrived at the scene.
A police spokesperson later confirmed that the victim was taken to hospital for treatment before a man and woman were arrested in connection with the incident.
Neighbours in the area told the ECHO that they heard loud screaming in the street after police and paramedics arrived at the scene.
One woman said: “The lad was being helped into an ambulance and there was a lot of screaming and shouting going on in the street amongst everyone and the police.”
Another neighbour said: “It felt like there were dozens of police here, the whole street was blocked, nobody knew what was going on.
“He was bleeding really badly but was walking so we assumed he was going to be ok.”
Did you see what happened? Do you have more details about this incident? Email [email protected] or tweet @PJ_Kirkham
A spokesperson for Merseyside Police said: “We have arrested a man and a woman following an assault in Kirkby this afternoon, Tuesday 13 August.
“At 5pm, emergency services were called to Morston Avenue after a man in his 20s was found with slash wounds to his head, face and hand.
Top news stories
“He was treated at the scene and taken to hospital for assessment of his injuries, which are initially believed to be non life-threatening.
“Following enquiries, a 20-year-old man from Kirkby was arrested on suspicion of Section 18 wounding and a 45-year-old woman from Kirkby was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.
“Both have been taken to police stations for questioning.”
Follow reporter Jenny Kirkham on social media
Follow Jenny on Twitter here
You can read more of her stories here
Email her on [email protected]
Or contact Jenny on Facebook if you want to share any news, stories or updates.
Did you film a great video? Send your footage via What’s App: 07831256877
Keep up to date with the latest breaking news here
A cordon is currently still in place on Morston Avenue as forensic officers work at the scene.
Anyone who witnessed the incident or has any information is urged to get in touch, via @MerPolCC, 101 with reference 674 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, a charity independent of police.
- Katonah homicide: Man shot multiple times
- Man shot multiple times while filming rap video in Bronx
- WATCH: Cops release footage of Queens murder suspect who allegedly stabbed man multiple times (VIDEO)
- Queens man slashed 2 with broken champagne glass at Lower East Side bar: cops
- Bronx man slashes two stepsons in neck during argument over their computer: police sources
- Man, 26, shot multiple times in Wilmington
- Many of young school victims were shot multiple times
- Man shot several times in Springettsbury Township, cops say
- 6-month-old girl dies after getting shot multiple times as her father changed her diaper outside a Chicago home
- Queens teens hit multiple times in hail of bullets: cops