THE ACTING President of Spain, Pedro Sanchez flies out to Gran Canaria today (August 22) to meet with officials and to witness the damage caused by the devastating forest fires.
Sanchez will by travelling to the island straight from a 12 day holiday in the Palace of the Marismillas at the Doñana National Park (Huelva).
During his visit he will meet local authorities and the mayors of affected municipalities, including Minister of Public Administration, Justice and Security of the Government of the Canary Islands, Julio Pérez.
The trip will be a short one however, as his itinerary has been made public and it shows he will only be on the island for 90 minutes before flying to Biarritz (France) to attend the latest G7 Summit.
Nearly 10,000 people have been evacuated from their homes on the island of Gran Canaria after a series of huge forest fires engulfed the central area of the island last Saturday, and are still burning although officials state the fire is now under control.
What is now being classed as an “environmental disaster” has destroyed over 12,000 hectares of forest land.
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
- Vice President Pence visited SpaceX's pad 39A in Florida. Here's what he saw.
- 'Trump Baby' balloon gets mayor's OK to fly over London during president's visit
- Sadiq Khan blasted for allowing a giant inflatable ‘Trump baby’ to be flown during President’s visit
- Giant “Trump baby” balloon to fly over London during US president’s visit next week
- New Afrika Shrine Takes A Grandiose Look, As French President Macron Visits
- Presidential Villa agog for French President’s visit
- Lagos Excited As Macron Becomes First President To Visit Fela's Afrika Shrine
- Swiss president to visit Kenya next week
- Trump 'angry baby' blimp gets green light to fly over London during president's visit
- Stamford cop leads team for President Trump visit