More than 1,200 Kent police officers were assaulted in the space of a year.
The latest government figures reveal a total of 1,234 officers were punched, kicked, spat on or worse between April 1, 2018 and March 31, 2019.
This is nearly 24 assaults a week.
Neil Mennie from Kent Police Federation
A further breakdown of the data shows 1,015 of these physical attacks did not result in injury.
But this leaves 219 cases which did.
Across the whole of England and Wales, there were more than 30,000 assaults on police officers during this period.
The number in Kent has risen since the previous year.
Between 2017 and 2018, a total of 1,112 constables were subject to violence, including 189 who acquired injuries.
Neil Mennie from Kent Police Federation said: “It is disappointing. Clearly officers don’t expect to go to work and be assaulted.
“It should not be expected in any job – let alone the police.
“The assaults officers have to put up with while carrying out their duties vary tremendously but include punching, kicking, biting and spitting and worse.
“When I was a young police officer, there was a tendency to put up with a certain level of assault but this should never have been the case and certainly should not be the case now.”
Mr Mennie thinks the rise in assaults since last year could be due to cuts in numbers.
He said: “It is really difficult to understand why we have seen an increase – cuts in officer numbers may be factor.
“However, Kent has been fortunate in receiving 200 extra officers, even before new figures being banded about nationally.
“Hopefully this increase in numbers will reduce the number of assaults.”
Previously, there was just a crime classification for ‘assaults on police officers which did not result in injury’.
In cases where they did, the figures were added to the relevant offence category, such as ‘violence with injury’, along with all other members of the public.
The new ‘assault with injury on a constable’ classification was introduced in April 2017.
Before this, figures were estimated using self-reported assaults data.To get the latest updates in ongoing cases, police appeals and criminals put behind bars, click here
- Woman attacked female police officer at Portrush nightclub
- Dallas police officer dies after shooting
- 'A gift of faith': Thousands gather to mourn slain Dallas police officer
- Suspect in fatal shooting of Nogales police officer arraigned on 39 counts
- Springfield Mayor Domenic Sarno, Chicopee Police sign petition after killing of Yarmouth Police Officer Sean Gannon
- Man arrested after 2 Dallas police officers wounded in shooting
- Texas Home Depot Shooting: Dallas Police Officers Shot, Live Updates
- Who Is Armando Juarez? Texas Home Depot Shooting Person of Interest Identified After Two Police Officers Shot In Dallas
- Dallas police officer dies, two others in critical condition following shooting at Home Depot
- UPDATE: Former police officer named as suspected serial killer