A man has died after collapsing while taking part in a taco-eating competition during a baseball game in the US state of California.
Dana Hutchings, 41, had been eating the Mexican dish during a contest at a minor league match in Fresno, about 200 miles south-east of San Francisco.
He was rushed to hospital but died a short while later.
It was not immediately known how many tacos he consumed, but a witness said he was eating “much faster” than the other two contestants.
Mathew Boylan, who watched Tuesday’s contest, said Mr Hutchings appeared to be swallowing the tacos without chewing them.
Mr Hutchings collapsed about seven minutes into the contest and hit his face on a table as he fell to the ground, he added.
The competition had been organised by the Fresno Grizzlies baseball team on Tuesday.
They have cancelled the World Taco Eating Championship which was scheduled to take place on Saturday.
Additional reporting by the Associated Press
- 71-Year-Old Man Dies When Pickup Truck Strikes Pole
- 27-Year-Old Man Dies In Head-On Crash On Highway 152
- Update: 66-Year-Old Felton Man Dies In Hwy 9 Motorcycle Crash
- Man Dies After Jumping From Vehicle In Moss Beach Tuesday
- Half Moon Bay man dies after jumping from vehicle
- Massena man dies in car crash
- Man dies, 5-year-old survives in apparent subway leap
- Lake Placid man dies in Essex County crash
- Nikiski man dies in collision on Kenai Spur Highway
- 4 die, over 30 missing in California dive boat fire; crew jumped