A man detained a thief he caught in his car after giving chase in the early hours of Tuesday.
Carl Michael Rankin, 35, was spotted in the victim’s car in Acklam at around 3am before the victim stopped him in his tracks.
Cash had been taken ad Rankin was also charged in relation to a separate incident at around 12.40pm on the same night in Linthorpe.
He admitted theft from a motor vehicle and attempted theft from a motor vehicle at Teesside Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.
Rankin, of Woodville Avenue, Grove Hill, was handed a 12 month community order, a curfew for three months and a drugs rehabilitation order.
He must also pay must pay £85 in court costs and £10 compensation to the victim.
Detective inspector Chris Stone said: “We’d like to praise the actions of the victim who found Rankin in their vehicle, chased and detained him as our officers travelled to the scene.
“Rankin was arrested and detectives linked him to an earlier attempt theft.
“We are pleased that a swift investigation brought the matter to court today.”
- SEE IT: English thief caught breaking into car in front of bouncers
- SEE IT: Surveillance video captures shooting, car crash after Pennsylvania man discovers thief stealing his car
- Police: Alleged Tesla thief caught after car ran out of power
- Russian man detained for trying to hack ATM in Vietnam
- 'Thief' caught by Karon lifeguard
- New Haven Man Caught Burglarizing Cars in East Haven: Police
- Man Injured By His Own Car in Oxford
- Royal Enfield thief caught by police: Captured on live camera [Video]
- Jailed: Manor Park thief caught on CCTV breaking into locked cars