The Chinese territory of Macau has elected former legislature head Ho Iat Seng as its leader – the sole approved candidate.Ho, who has deep ties to China, is expected to cement Beijing’s control over the special administrative region and distance it from protests in neighbouring Hong Kong.He secured 392 votes from a 400-member pro-Beijing committee to lead the world’s largest gambling hub for at least the next five years, public broadcaster TDM reported on Sunday.The 62-year-old’s highly scripted appointment comes as the former Portuguese colony tries to position itself as a beacon of stability and model for the Chinese government’s “one country, two systems” formula through which Beijing administers Macau and Hong Kong.Although anti-government protests have roiled the former British colony of Hong Kong for nearly three months, Macau has seen little dissent to Beijing’s rule.Ho said local youth could resist the influence of Hong Kong’s protesters and support measures to boost patriotism in Macau.
- The American Geisha Must Be Selective: How to choose a man
- Avoiding Future Shock - Choose Tomorrow's Leaders Today
- Identifying True Christian Leaders
- Thermometer Manager or Thermostat Leader?
- Choose an Artificial Christmas Tree
- Picking Out the Man's Wedding Ring
- Being in Beijing
- Beijing Major Tourist Attractions
- The Official Mascots of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games Manifests Chinese Symbols
- China Beijing Olympics Games Mascots - 5 Symbols of Hope From the Beijing Olympics?
Macau chooses Beijing man as leader have 234 words, post on www.news.com.au at August 24, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.