Liverpool are the undisputed champions of Europe, after beating Europa League winners Chelsea in the UEFA Super Cup in Istanbul to ensure there would be no claims of a different story from West London.
An entertaining draw saw both sides exchange leads, with Olivier Giroud giving the Blues the lead before Sadio Mane’s equaliser sent the game all the way to extra time.
The drama didn’t stop there as Mane struck again to give the Reds the lead for the first time in the game, although their 2-1 advantage did not last long as Jorginho tucked home from the penalty spot.
That decision proved to be a controversial one, as there wasn’t a decisive view on the replays that showed whether Adrian made contact with Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham.
Either way, it was Adrian the hero at the end and, if the decision was a harsh one, the Spanish stopper came up triumphant as he saved the penalty from Abraham to clinch the trophy.
Considering he wasn’t expected to feature and was named in the line-up due to Alisson’s injury, it was certainly a night to remember and Liverpool fans on social media heralded their new icon.
The Reds now return to Premier League action pretty quickly, with a trip to Southampton.
The game kicks off at 3pm on Saturday afternoon.
Next up after that is Arsenal at Anfield on Saturday 24th, at 5.30pm.
- Shanghai Swans rally to win $3.3 million GCL Super Cup
- President Trump and Melania congratulate US women for World Cup win despite players saying they would snub an invitation to the White House
- Police smash football ticket touting gang after Liverpool fan who travelled 5,600 miles was turned away from Anfield with fake ticket
- Hillsborough trial: David Duckenfield not guilty of gross negligence manslaughter of 95 Liverpool fans
- Police chief in charge of Hillsborough stadium when 96 Liverpool fans died cleared of manslaughter
- Fans React to ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Trailer
- Liverpool fan who bought fake ticket turned away after travelling 5,600 miles
- Andrew Strauss: Unlike 2005 Ashes, World Cup victory must be launchpad for something bigger
- SPOILER ALERT: 'My heart is broken!' Devastated Home and Away fans react to the death of a main character in brutal season finale
- World Cup win has put cricket back into the national conversation: it needs to be in state schools to keep it there