In a whirlwind 24 hours, Luiz went from Chelsea hero to zero after making a shock £8m switch to Arsenal on deadline day.
It came amid reports that the Brazilian was unhappy with Frank Lampard’s treatment of him after being told that he was no longer a guaranteed starter.
The Blues boss revealed he had ‘honest talks’ with the 32-year-old and they agreed that the best deal for both parties was to make way.
And Luiz has risked the wrath of the fans after making the move to London rivals Arsenal, though former Chelsea star Paul Canoville has urged supporters to think twice about his situation.
“Some respected him and some are hurt by it,” he told Starsport.
“They say when you play at Chelsea you should not play for a north London side.
“But right now that is his future – you cannot decide his future and if his agent got the best deal at a team like Arsenal comes for you what are you going to do?
“Refuse and say oh well I can’t really [join Arsenal] because I play for Chelsea? No, you have got to look after your future.
“You have got to look after yourself, these are probably his last few years in top-flight football you have got to do it.”
Luiz was one of the first names on the team-sheet during pre-season but was notably dropped for their final match against Borussia Monchengladbach.
And Canoville believes that something fishy as going on behind the scenes.
He added: “I had a kind of feeling that something was wrong and that was from just watching the friendlies.
“In my opinion, and I know it is only pre-season but you put your all in and I did not see Luiz put his all in. I think there was something going on.
“Obviously Lampard sold him, whether Luiz saw himself in the team – he probably didn’t. Zouma, Rudiger I think they are stronger and also you have got Christensen coming through.
“A good chance to leave, but I think he has been a liability. Too casual on the ball and too many mistakes – great passer of the ball but far too casual.”
Paul Canoville was speaking to Starsport on behalf of his charity the Paul Canoville foundation.
Founded by the former Chelsea man, the foundation works with young people facing economic, physical or mental adversity to build life-skills, resilience and support networks to build a better future for themselves and their community.
If you would like to find out more, please go to www.paulcanovillefoundation.com
- Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud reveals the reason behind David Luiz goal celebration against Liverpool
- David Luiz confident Frank Lampard will be success as a manager
- Seven Scriptures to Remind Us that Jesus is the Real Reason for the Season…
- Real Reason Why Salman Khan’s Race 3 Won’t Release This Eid 2018
- Explosive REAL reason Dan Osborne and Jacqueline Jossa split
- IGP vs Saraki: Real reasons police transferred Kwara killer-cult suspects to Abuja
- Meghan Markle’s Suits co-star Rick Hoffman explains the real reason for his unimpressed face at the Royal Wedding
- Real reason behind Dan Osborne and Jacqueline Jossa's split 'revealed'
- The real reason why H D Kumaraswamy is contesting from two seats
- The real reason Liddell is making 'tragic' call