A huge search is under way for a missing six-year-old boy after he reportedly fell into a river.
Lucas Dobson’s dad jumped into the River Stour in Kent in a desperate bid to save him afyer the incident on Saturday but it is believed he was taken away by the current.
His father, along with two other men, were unable to find him but a family member reveled that the water was flowing too quickly for them to be able to find him.
The incident happened near Sandwich on Saturday afternoon and an army of volunteers have since been deployed to comb the area in an attempt to find him, according to Kent Live.
Lucas is able to swim but has not been seen since 1.20pm on Saturday.
Kent Police are leading the search which also involves water safety units, an inshore lifeboat, Coastguard helicopter and Kent Fire and Rescue Service.
Superintendent Amanda Tillotson of Kent Police said: “I would like to thank those members of the public who are helping to search for Lucas but would reiterate my advice to them to please stay away from the water for their own safety.”
Lucas’s aunt, Maciee Stanford, 18, told the Mirror Online: “He was with his dad and his dad’s friends along with other children.
“The incident happened because our Lucas was on the jetty and tried to step from there onto the boat but he fell in between the jetty and the boat (small gap).
“As soon as he fell the three adults jumped in after but the current was too strong, he had already gone in the short amount of time he could not be found.
“They fish and do this regularly as it is behind one of the men’s houses, all the children play together here.”
Watch: What to do in an emergency
On Sunday morning, many of the volunteers could be seen walking down the sides of the river and around the wider search area, with one man carrying a pair of binoculars.
At points along the River Stour, which is visibly fast flowing, search and rescue specialists could be seen probing the riverbank and water – with a number of boats tied up near where Lucas fell in.
Follow Hull Live
Our daily newsletter – To get the latest headlines direct to your email inbox every day, click here .
Follow Hull Live on Facebook – Like our Facebook page to get the latest news in your feed and join in the lively discussions in the comments. Click here to give it a like!
Follow us on Twitter – For breaking news and the latest stories, click here to follow Hull Live on Twitter.
Follow us on Instagram – On the Hull Live Instagram page we share gorgeous pictures of our stunning city – and if you tag us in your posts, we could repost your picture on our page! We also put the latest news in our Instagram Stories. Click here to follow Hull Live on Instagram .
- Will MH370 Be Found? Private Search For Missing Plane Ends, Families Unhappy
- Police searching for missing 2-year-old boy from North Texas
- MH370 Update: Search For Missing Plane To End On May 29
- Police Search For Missing Fisherman After Shark Pulled Line, Lost Kayak
- Body found in search for missing teenager Jade McGrath, 19, who vanished from home 11 days ago
- Sardaryab: Two boys missing as boat sinks in Kabul River
- 8-year-old boy missing after jumping out of car in Spring
- 12-year-old boy missing in west Harris County
- Despite Baker’s call, Fall River mayor says he won’t resign
- Fall River’s controversial mayor delivers his State of the City address a week after bizarre recall and reelection