Wayne Rooney’s first game for DC United since agreeing to join Derby County in the New Year ended in a 1-0 defeat away to Vancouver Whitecaps.
Manchester United and England’s all-time top scorer was substituted 18 minutes from time in the MLS fixture.
Before leaving the pitch, he had a heated exchange for a few seconds with the fourth official before heading to the bench.
Derby County sign Wayne Rooney
Rooney appeared to be unhappy with the standard of the officiating.
He then took to Twitter after the game to comment on the travel arrangements of returning from Canada.
Rooney tweeted: “Gutted about result last night. We deserved more. Looking forward to a 12-hour travel day which could be done in 6 but hey this is mls. We will get ready for red bulls Wednesday.”
Rather than charter flights, the MLS primarily opt for commercial flights and this can make journeys more time consuming.
Rooney is set to join Derby as a player-coach in January.
- Premier League 2017/18 preview: Chelsea defend title with Manchester United, Manchester City and a host of other clubs on the hunt
- Arsenal vs Manchester United means pizza is at the ready and Brighton need to pin down Mo Salah (literally)
- Is Liverpool vs West Brom on TV? Live stream, kick-off time, TV channel and team news for Premier League clash at Anfield
- Is Liverpool vs West Brom on TV? Live stream, TV channel, team news and kick-off time for Premier League clash at Anfield
- Liverpool vs West Brom: Live stream, TV channel, kick-off time and team news for the Premier League clash
- Liverpool vs West Brom: Live stream, TV channel, team news and kick-off time for the Premier League clash
- On This Day, Feb 21 1991: Leicester City forward Riyad Mahrez was born