BY MELISHA YAFOI and ELIAS NANAU
EMTV News and current affairs manager Neville Choi was terminated yesterday after six years of service in this role.
Mr Choi is also the president of the PNG Media Council and an experienced head of the news room having previously worked for quite sometime as Editor with Wantok Niuspepa.
According to a statement released by the EMTV management this afternoon, his termination took effect yesterday morning.
The company said his termination has no association with political motives, and is a disciplinary action taken for non compliance by Mr Choi towards EMTV’s company HR policies.
EMTV says his role will be looked after by Meriba Tulo who is now the acting head of news and current affairs.
ËMTV management is confident of Mr Tulo’s appointment as the acting news manager and will continue to support him and the overall news department.
The company also thanked Choi for his leadership, guidance and experience in the role of Head of News and current affairs in the last six years and have wished him well in his future endeavors.
Despite this there is also staff resentment about Choi’s termination.
A staff who does not want to be identified said Choi has delivered a flawless news content development and presentation under his leadership within the news and current affairs team.
Last year Scott Waide, the bureau chief of their Lae Office was terminated for reporting about New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Arden’s refusal to use the controversial Maserati vehicles when she attended APEC in Port Moresby.
Mr Waide was reinstated, after what many believed was also influenced by news consumers petitioning against his termination on social media.
- Current affairs: Hanoians take a dip in the Red River
- LPG terminal work has resumed with State support, says IOC
- Missouri City Mayor Yolanda Ford, council vote 4-3 to fire city manager
- Anthony Snipes releases statement in response to Missouri City contract termination
- Couple marry in hospice in ceremony funded by strangers after groom is diagnosed with terminal cancer
- Nerd Alert: The Joker Vs Deadpool & Terminator Genisys Easter Eggs
- Making children fall in love with news
- Foreign affairs, NIS meet on visa policy 2020
- NSA remains in control of J&K affairs, no security scare in view of Donald Trump visit
- Army writes to CDS' Department of Military Affairs for issuing guidelines preventing police personnel to wear combat uniform