A 41-year-old man was killed by an elephant in northern Botswana Monday, police confirmed Wednesday.
The incident happened around 7:30 pm (1730 GMT) near Nokaneng in the Okavango District, policeman Samuel Kgomo confirmed in an interview.
The deceased sustained serious injuries all over the body after being attacked on his way to the cattleposts and was later found dead by a passerby.
Since taking office in April, Botswanan President Mokgweetsi Masisi has been working towards lifting the ban on animal hunting to relieve him of the blame for the over population of the animal, which has been encroaching into human settlements to search for water and food.
The ban has now been lifted after consultation with communities and the hunting season is to open soon.
Meanwhile, the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) rejected a proposal to open trade to clear existing stockpiles of ivory.
Botswana, Namibia and Zimbabwe, which have high elephant populations, submitted a joint proposal to trade in tons of stockpiled ivory, but were defeated in a vote.
The three countries take up more than 70 percent of the world’s total elephant population.
- Body of 41-year-old man discovered in Falkirk house is being treated as ‘unexplained’ by police
- Daylight shooting in St. Paul's North End kills 18-year-old man
- Motorcycle crash in Anaconda kills 46-year-old man
- Venus Williams blamed by cops for car crash that killed 78-year-old man days before start of Wimbledon
- 74-year-old man attacked at his Cleveland landscaping business
- 22-year-old man arrested in connection with SC State Shooting
- BREAKING: Shooting tonight in Augusta kills 18-year-old
- 71-Year-Old Man Dies When Pickup Truck Strikes Pole
- 27-Year-Old Man Dies In Head-On Crash On Highway 152
- Car Crashes Into and Kills 10-Year-Old Boy in Brooklyn
- Dog kills 1-year-old in ‘unprovoked attack’ in Granite Bay
- Man accused of killing 15-year-old schoolgirl Janet Commins in court 41 YEARS after her murder
- 20-year-old man dies after Edison Street shooting
- Brutal moment cops shoot dead an escaped rampaging bear called Michael which killed an 84-year-old man
- Wladimir Klitschko insists he is in ‘the best shape of his life’ before 41-year-old lays it all on the line against Anthony Joshua
- Cops release images of lorry ‘involved in hit and run outside London Underground station’ that killed 71-year-old
- Two teens arrested on suspicion of ‘trying to kill 18-year-old who was mowed down in street after row’
- Horror injuries suffered by teen mum, 17, ‘murdered by 18-year-old man’ described as being like she was in a high-speed car crash
- Cops investigating Westminster terror attacks which left four dead arrest 30-year-old man in Birmingham
- Troopers: Pasco crash kills 18-year-old on motorcycle
Elephant kills 41-year-old man in Botswana have 423 words, post on famagusta-gazette.com at August 29, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.