34-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo paid tribute to the Argentinian superstar, saying that Lionel Messi has demonstrated a high degree of skill during his many years playing, but winning the Champions League titles with different clubs is what sets him apart from Lionel Messi.
“There aren’t many players with five Champions League titles, which is why I feel like I have a special bond with the competition,” Ronaldo said, speaking of his success.
Messi joined a Catalan club at a junior level in 2000 and made his debut for an adult team in 2003. As part of the team, he became the champion of Spain 10 times and won the Champions League four times. Messi won the Golden Ball five times. Not a single player in the world has succeeded in it, other than Ronaldo.
Ronaldo has played for Sporting, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus. The Portuguese won the Champions Cup five times and is the top scorer in the history of the tournament (126 goals). Once he won the trophy playing for United, and four more times while he was with Real Madrid.
- Cristiano Ronaldo claims he would not play any Serie A matches if it were up to him – as he lives for ‘important games’
- Champions League: Cristiano Ronaldo "Back" Against Favourite Enemy Atletico Madrid
- Virgil Van Dijk, Cristiano Ronaldo And Lionel Messi Shortlisted For FIFA Award
- Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi? Who does Kylian Mbappe think should win Ballon d’Or
- Lionel Messi favourite to overtake Cristiano Ronaldo with historic SIXTH Ballon d’Or ahead of Van Dijk
- Revealed: Football Manager 2017's 10 best players - and Cristiano Ronaldo is only THIRD
- Lionel Messi and Megan Rapinoe Favorites to Win Ballon d'Or 2019 Honours
- Cristiano Ronaldo is paid a staggering £147m by Nike, according to leaked contract details
- Will it be a sixth Ballon d'Or for Lionel Messi?
- 'I have never hidden anything, and never tried to avoid taxes': Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo denies wrongdoing during 90-minute court grilling over £13million tax fraud probe