Is there anything worse than dry, lack-lustre hair? There is, and it’s greasy hair.
Whilst it may seems desirable to wash your hair daily to have hair that is ‘dry’ to the touch, over-washing can strip your scalp of the natural oils it produces to stay healthy; this leads to your scalp over-producing oils – essentially leading you back to a greasy square one.
You can find out more about why it’s not great to wash your hair daily here.
Unfortunately, some of us sweat and suffer with sebum (oily secretion) build up more frequently than others.
If you’re a greasy hair sufferer – fret not. We’ve compiled a list of the best grease-busting shampoos to help you not look like you live in a deep fat fryer (you can thank us later).
Best shampoos for greasy hair
1. Sachajuan Normalizing Shampoo – 250ml
Doing just as it explains on the bottle, this shampoos aim is to normalise the hair.
It’s described as a daily shampoo, but you aren’t going to use it daily are you? Because did you listen to anything we said in the opening paragraph?
This shampoo not only helps to cleanse with salicylic acid which dissolves dead cells, but the rosemary oil infusion also works to soothe and hydrate irritated scalps.
It leaves your hair feeling refreshed and revived.
Price: £16.00, Look Fantastic – buy here now
2. Vichy Ultra Soothing Shampoo – 200ml
If you suffer with an irritated scalp and you’re prone to a greasy set of locks every so often, this is the shampoo for you.
This special formula is packed full of ingredients to remove and reduce build up, specifically targeting those that irritate the scalp.
Without making your hair feel heavy it offers an invigorating cleanse, leaving your hair feeling cleaner and lighter.
Price: £9.00, Feel Unique – buy here now
3. L’Oréal Professionnel Série Expert Pure Resource Shampoo – 300ml
This lightweight shampoo from L’Oréal uses a combination of Citramine and Vitamin E to restore the radiance of your hair – giving it a new lease of life.
Without stripping the hair of the precious oils it produces naturally, it cleanses the scalp whilst controlling all of the natural good stuff.
It’s suitable for the finest hair, so you can be sure it’s definitely not a heavily formulated product.
Price: £12.90, FeelUnique – buy here now
4. Bumble and Bumble Seaweed Shampoo – 250ml
Bumble and Bumble is the hair care brand we never knew we needed, until now of course.
Infused with the active anti oxidant ingredient seaweed and calming peppermint, not only will this revitalise your hair; but your scalp will thank you for the soothing peppermint mix too.
For in between washes you can also try out their dry shampoo, which is a must have to combat oily hair on the go.
Price: £20.80, Amazon – buy here now
5. Philip B Peppermint Avocado Shampoo – 220ml
Treat your hair and your scalp to so much-needed TLC with this rich, nourishing formula from Philip B.
With over 16 different plant extracts infused into the sleek looking bottle, peppermint and avocado to name a couple – be sure you’ll get a deep, invigorating wash; with your hair feeling smoother, bouncier and healthier afterwards.
Price: £31.00, Lookfantastic – buy here now
6. Pantene Pro-V Micellar Cleanse & Nourish Shampoo – 400ml
If you’re looking for a light shampoo with a fragrant, but not overpowering scent – it might be worth your while to try this.
The advanced formula is specially designed for hair prone to grease and helps to nourish the hair strand by strand, from root to tip.
At £2 a bottle it’s a complete steal that you must try at least once.
Price: £2.00, Superdrug – buy here now
7. Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo – 250ml
This shampoos focus is a little different compared to the others on the list, but not without good reason.
The formula predominantly targets itchy, dry and flaky scalps – so how does that help with a greasy hair we hear you ask?
Well, helping to reduce and soothe the scalp affected by a ‘build up’, which in turn gives you the flaky scalp, stops you itching and producing even more oily secretions, thus stopping greasy hair.
Makes sense, right?
Price: £6.29, Amazon – buy here now
8. LUSH I Love Juicy Shampoo – 250g
It promises to eliminate grease from your hair and leave your hair smelling like the fruitiest part of the supermarket.
Enriched with papaya, pineapple and mango – we aren’t sure whether to eat this formula or use this formula. Either way the natural ingredients are a win.
Your hair and scalp are left feeling soft, free from irritation and deeply cleansed.
Price: £14.00, Lush – buy here now
Hair care tips and treatments
Now you’re well on your way to healthy looking hair, why not check out the clever new hair products to add to your hair care routine?
- Haire is back on track for glory as Ulster series starts with Enkalon Trophy prize
- Ranking the 25 best baseball movies of all time
- Carlos Boozer on the origins of ‘HOLDAT’, his spray-on hair, and the wild summer of 2010
- Louis van Gaal says Robert Huth’s hair pull best saved for ‘sex, masochism’
- NBA: Ranking The Best and Worst Haircuts in the NBA
- My Wife’s Thoughts: Meyers Leonard’s Hair
- Jayson Tatum of the Boston Celtics is a breakout star of the NBA playoffs. So is his hair.
- Puerto Rico in scarce supply of hair dye amid baseball fever
- So many Puerto Rican baseball fans are bleaching their hair, dye supply running low
- 'White-haired guy' Baffert defines horse racing, even amid Kentucky Derby miss