A tiny eight-month-old kitten has found a new home in Ashford after a dog bite left it “close to death”.
Ginger kitten Zoey was brought to the RSPCA’s Putney Animal Hospital when she was just 12 weeks old with fractures to her bottom jaw and cheekbone and a bleeding eye.
“This poor kitten was close to death and in a bad way when she came into the care of the hospital,” said hospital administrator Joanne Elmes. “She was placed in an intensive care unit cage to recover. Pretty much all of her head, face and neck were affected so she must have been in a lot of pain.”
But, after weeks of surgery and rehabilitation, Zoey has found a new home with Ashford couple Taig and Angila Drummond and their children, 10-year-old Ava and 13-year-old Jaden.
Taig said: “Literally as soon as we saw Zoey, we just fell in love with her straight away. After everything she has been through, I thought she would be timid and frail but she’s the opposite.”
As well as surgery, Zoey needed to have a wire fitted to hold her jaw together after she was bitten by the dog at her previous home. She was then transferred to RSPCA Southall, where the wire could be removed once her face had healed properly.
After just three weeks, Ms Elmes said, she was back up and running around the hospital like a normal kitten.
“She’s very independent and completely fearless,” Taig said. “She chases around our other cat and he’s probably about three times the size of her.
“She is a great testament to the work of the RSPCA. She was completely wrecked when she came in. It’s unbelievable the damage she had and you wouldn’t know looking at her now, you wouldn’t think anything had happened to her.”
Ms Elmes added: “We were so worried she wouldn’t make it but then all of a sudden she started to get better and she was determined to run around the ward and just be a normal kitten.
“It truly is amazing. She is such a special little survivor.”
- Having a baby wiped my memory: Camre Curto longed to be a mother, but a near-fatal pregnancy crisis left her unable to recognise her fiance... or even her newborn son
- Mother-of-three, 43, who collapsed with what she thought was a sickness bug had actually suffered a near-fatal one in 100,000 stroke
- Hanoi blames metal, plastic recycling for near-fatal air quality
- Doug Flutie Says Dog Bite Derailed Daughter's Run At Maxim Cover
- Mum who collapsed after headache had suffered near-fatal one in 100,000 stroke
- Huawei stresses 'survival' as US sanctions bite
- 'We're so lucky to still have him': Toni Collette reveals her husband Dave Galafassi 'recovering slowly' after near-fatal motorbike accident that was attended by six emergency vehicles
- Florida Man, Nude and Covered in Mud, Arrested for Biting Police Dog
- Abandoned 'Mowgli' girl, 10, who was saved by her loyal dog in two-week ordeal in the Siberian wilderness wins beauty contest six years after rescue
- Man Fatally Stabbed In The Bronx, Investigation Ongoing