The A27 is closed this morning due to a van collision.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said it was called to the scene of the accident – on the eastbound carriageway of the A27 between Emsworth and Chichester – at 6.53am by the ambulance service.
This was to reports of a van colliding with a tree, with two male casualties.
The first fire engine arrived at the scene at 7.10am, and was joined by two others and a specialist rescue unit which cut the two men out of the vehicle and left them in the care of paramedics.
Sussex Police led the response and arrived at the scene at 6.44am. A spokesman said: “A passenger in the van has suffered major injuries and is being taken to St Richard’s Hospital, Chichester.”
As a result, the eastbound carriageway of the A27 has been shut since.
A statement from Highways England at 8am this morning said: “The A27 is currently closed from its junction with the A259 (Emsworth) to the A259 (Chichester) with delays of at least 60 minutes covering several miles of the eastbound carriageway.
“This closure is due to a road traffic collision and Highways England has resources deployed working hard to restore normal conditions as soon as possible.
“For traffic approaching the closure locally, you are advised to expect disruption with extra journey time and may potentially have to re-route your journey.
“If travelling towards this area from much farther afield, you may wish to change your strategic route, allow extra travel time and follow guidance from our on-road variable message signs and media.
“Diversion route details and guidance is as follows: Follow the “Hollow Diamond” diversion route, exit the A27 at the Emsworth intersection and take the A259 eastbound.
“Continue on the A259 to then re-join the A27 at the Fishbourne roundabout.”
Sussex Police are also at the scene and leading the response to this incident.
On Twitter, West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews are currently dealing with our fifth road traffic collision where we are having to extricate casualties in 12 hours. Please be careful on your commute on the roads this #MondayMorning.”
Commuter Charlotte Harding, from Portsmouth, has been stuck in the traffic since 7.30am this morning.
She said she saw two paramedics and an ambulance driving past to the scene of the accident, and believed the westbound carriageway was also closed for a while as she did not see any cars going past.
Sussex Police and the ambulance service has been approached for comment.
- Bicycle rider, 13, on way to synagogue, critically injured in Brooklyn van collision
- Seven injured after freight train collision causes Missouri overpass to collapse
- Spring snowstorm closes Wyoming highways, causes flight cancellations
- Falling ice from World Trade Center closes PATH station, causes rush-hour panic
- 58-year-old woman struck by cab on Upper East Side dies after men heroically flip van to free her
- Deer collisions on the rise
- I-15 holiday traffic causes three car pileup
- Man dies in wrong-way collision after vehicle tumbles off Interstate 17
- Virginia girl, 2, dies after being left in hot van for 'extended period of time': cops
- Hurricane Irma: Closings and cancellations in Fort Myers, Cape Coral and the rest of SWFL