PUBLISHED: 19:01 30 July 2019 Katy Sandalls Ken Ashby, the on-call firefighters recruitment officer for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Picture; SUFFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL Archant A number Suffolk’s fire stations currently recruiting for on-call firefighters, so what does the job entail? What is an on-call firefighter?On-call firefighters are part-tme officers who live close to their respective fire stations so they can be called to incidents during the day and at night. They are paid a retaining fee along with an allowance for drills and attending incidents. The remains of the plaza at Centre Parcs after the blaze in 2002 Picture: Andy AbbottWhat is the recruitment process like?Becoming an on-call firefighter is a rigorous process. Each prospective applicant has to go through a series of physical and written tests to be considered for the role, as well as an interview, and medical tests. If successful, recruits then do a number of weeks of training to get to grips with the skills and techniques required to be an on-call firefighter.What is it like being an on-call firefighter?Ken Ashby is a former on-call firefighter and current on-call firefighter recruitment officer for Suffolk Fire and Rescue. “I was on an on-call firefighter for 40 years,”… Read full this story
- 'Nobody gets out without damage': what fighting fire does to the body
- 9/11 firefighters who arrived early at World Trade Center may have higher heart risks now
- Meet the female firefighters including one PREGNANT woman 'standing together' to tackle raging blazes on the front line - as they vow to smash stereotypes the job is a 'man's' domain
- Gender pay gap: Does the adjusted pay gap make Germany look better than it really is?
- What Are Santa Ana Winds? Strong Gusts Increase Threat to Firefighters Battling California Wildfires
- Firefighting ability and tightest of margins will decide Champions Cup final
- Staffordshire firefighter suffers life-changing injuries in training exercise
- ‘Catastrophic’ conditions to hit Sydney on Tuesday as firefighters continue to battle bushfires in NSW and Queensland
- Edna the cat officially removed from SF fire facility, and she does not have a permanent home
- Covering Up Negative Emotions Doesn’t Work. So What Does?
What does it take to be an on-call firefighter? have 356 words, post on www.eadt.co.uk at July 30, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.