The upcoming board game St. Noire has a few very interesting things going for it. For one thing, it comes from X2 Games – a company created by Nolan Bushnell (co-founder of Atari) and Hollywood VFX wizard Zai Ortiz. Second, and most importantly, it takes physical board games in a new direction with its clever use of Amazon’s Alexa devices.
Note that Alexa won’t be speaking to you during the game, because that would be terrible. No, Alexa’s job is to provide the atmosphere and actor voice performances (which they describe as being “Hollywood level”) for an immersive murder mystery game. You’ll be tasked with uncovering clues and questioning suspects to determine who’s lying and who’s telling the truth. Naturally, the main goal is to identify the killer – a character that’s randomized for each game. There are also multiple storylines, victims, and endings to increase replayablility. So it’s kind of like Clue, but, as you’ll see, not really like Clue. Here’s How X2 Games describes the gameplay:
Pay close attention… You only have ’til the end of night seven to solve the case.
To deduce who the killer is, explore the different locations in town to find the right murder weapon and confirm suspect’s whereabouts on the night of the murder.
Not everyone will give an HONEST answer when asked where they were or who they saw the night of the murder. Compare suspect’s answers and look for inconsistencies to figure out who is telling the truth and who is lying. Be careful — liars will always lie, but not all liars are the killer! Nothing they say can be trusted!
On every turn you can choose to either:
- Examine a location for evidence.
- Choose to question a townsperson about where they were and who they saw on the night of the murder.
- Accuse a suspect.
- To win the game, identify and accuse the correct suspect before the end of night seven. The killer is caught. You save the town.
- Lose the game by making two incorrect accusations or making an incorrect accusation at the end of night seven. The killer skips town.
So, the murder mystery concept itself is interesting, and it seems like an ideal starting point for this kind of AI-powered board game. If you would like to try St. Noire out for yourself pre-orders are live on Amazon now for $39.99 with a release date slated for August 19th (you won’t be charged until it ships). Naturally, Amazon has an exclusive on this, and you’ll need an Alexa-enabled device complete with the St. Noire skill to play. It’s playable for one or more players with a 20-30 minute game time.
Note: This is not a sponsored post, but if you purchase one of the awesome products featured above, we may earn a small commission from the retailer. Thank you for your support.
ComicBook Nation Podcast: In this latest episode we breakdown Sony’s Marvel movie changes, Jamie Lee Curtis possibly joining Star Wars, and the bizarre spoilers of Netflix’s Tiger King! Listen & Subscribe!
Disclosure: ComicBook is owned by CBS Interactive, a division of ViacomCBS.
- OnePlus Nord Pre-Orders Start Soon — What’s to Expect, And What Are We Hoping For?
- Valve Steam Deck is a £350 Switch clone that runs PC games – pre-orders live today
- The 10 Best Kickstarter-Funded Video Games | Digital Trends
- Ultimate Ears' New Blast and Megablast Speakers Support Alexa | Digital Trends
- 6 Things Every Business Leader Should Do Before a Board Meeting
- The Middle Ages weren’t as sexist as Game Of Thrones would have you believe
- The Best Android Games Available (July 2021) | Digital Trends
- Monsterpocalypse Gives Us a Giant Radioactive Corgi, and More Gaming News
- The Best Wii Games of All Time | Digital Trends
- 17 Steam Tips for PC Gaming Noobs and Power Users
- How To Get Into Playing Video Games
- Return of retro gaming good news for traditionalists
- 100 best boarding schools in America
- Xbox Game Pass games list: July games plus every game currently available for Xbox consoles
- The Best PSVR Games for 2021 | Digital Trends
- The Best PS4 Games You Can Play Right Now | Digital Trends
- The Best Indie Games on Nintendo Switch | Digital Trends
- Tabletop games' popularity on rise with boost from Covid-19 pandemic
- The Best Gaming Desktops in 2021: Top Gaming PCs, Reviewed | Digital Trends
- 6 Out Of 7 SolarCity Board Members Have Direct Ties To Elon Musk
The St. Noire Alexa-Powered Board Game from an Atari Founder Is up for Pre-Order have 733 words, post on comicbook.com at July 22, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.