Merseyside has no shortage of incredible places to stay, from tiny unique airbnb’s to luxury hotels.
One of Wirral ’s oldest pubs, The New Brighton Hotel, has an incredible, winding story behind it which sees it taken from a lodging house in the 1800s to an up-and-coming place to stay in 2019.
While many will have walked past the hotel – or possibly even stayed there – its hidden history may surprise you.
According to Hidden Wirral Myths and Legends Tours , the hotel’s history is “long and varied”, starting off as a small private house in the 1820s and having its name changed many times – but it is now once again The New Brighton Hotel.
The venue was New Brighton ’s first hotel, and the first building on Victoria Road, before it became a pub.
The building was initially used as a lodging-house before being taken over by Mrs Lawrence and her daughters.
Widow Isabella Graves took over in 1839 to operate the venue as a pub.
Throughout the rest of the 1800s business changed hands several times, from Liverpudlian Thomas Longdon and his wife Mary to their daughters, and then to Mr Bert Taylor in 1922.
A native of Birmingham with considerable experience, Mr Taylor came from the Isle of Mann to become licensee at the pub.
Under him, a new lounge was constructed and 21 bedrooms were made available to guests looking for somewhere to spend the night.
In 1954 hotel’s name was changed to Neptune Hotel and remained as such until 1995, when it became Lacey’s.
In 2000, the pub became Peggy Gadfly’s, reportedly in reference to Peggy Gadsby, a one-legged diver who used to draw attention by diving off the pier.
Most recently, the venue was given a new lease of life by Vernal Aley and has reverted back to its original name.
The hotel underwent a full refurbishment in 2016 and is now a thriving hotel, bar and lounge just minutes from New Brighton Promenade.
The hotel has been deemed ‘the cleanest pub in New Brighton’ and ‘a real gem’ by reviewers on Trip Advisor.
Hidden Wirral Myths and Legends Tours hosts tours of Wirral’s best kept secrets year-round.
Sign up to the What’s On newsletter – packed with brilliant things to see and do in Liverpool and beyond.
- New Crossroads Hotel offers KC products, wood-fired pizza in historic buildings
- 10 of the best new affordable hotels in New York City
- Utah’s 3.3 percent job-growth rate in March was the nation’s best, fueled by businesses like the new AC Hotel in Salt Lake City
- More ‘luck' in Binondo with new Megaworld hotel
- New Trump hotels slow to start
- Plans for Salt Lake City’s new convention hotel: tall and curvaceous on the skyline, with three-story video displays on 200 South
- Here's when new apartments, hotels and stores are coming to uptown Charlotte
- Check out the new TWA Hotel’s gloriously retro rooms
- 5 Reasons to Stay at Miami Beach’s New Stanton Hotel
- New budget hotel completes scheme