A distraught dog owner has issued an urgent appeal after her miniature chihuahua was reportedly snatched by a seagull.
The four-year-old dog, called Gizmo, was in the back garden of Becca Hill’s house in Paignton, Devon when it was taken.
The seagull swooped down and flew away with the small pooch in its beak on Sunday afternoon, according to Ms Hill.
Her partner also witnessed the horrifying incident unfold earlier this afternoon, Devon Live reports .
Becca has now enlisted the help of several other people in a bid to track down her beloved pet who is currently still missing.
The 24-year-old is hoping that social media may be able to help reunite her with her missing dog.
She said: “My partner was in the garden putting the washing out at the time and suddenly he saw it swoop down.
“It carried Gizmo a fair way as we couldn’t see him anymore. I have no idea if he was dropped or where he is now.”
There are several recorded incident of birds attacking small dogs – but dog lover Becca says she never expected something like this to happen to her.
In May 2015 another Devon pet owner watched in horror as her beloved chihuahua puppy was killed by a flock of seagulls.
Niki Wayne, 57, found the birds pecking tiny Bella to death after the pup pushed open a door and got out.
Bella managed to nudge open a slightly ajar door and was killed by the birds.
Top news stories from Mirror Online
Mum-of-five Nikki, from Honiton, issued warnings to other residents to remain vigilant to prevent another attack.
She said she first noticed the seagulls perched on the roof, peering into the garden at the tiny dog and decided to seek advice.
An RSPB spokesman said: “This must be extremely upsetting for the dog’s owner. Fortunately these types of incidents are very rare and not typical gull behaviour.”
- Moment seagull swallows a CHICK as mum desperately tries to save young
- Serial shoplifting seagull has tried every flavour of crisps
- What is Flying Ants Day 2018
- Flying Ant Day: Here's when it is and how to get rid of them
- Flying Ants Day 2018
- 'Dog-sized' gulls terrorise picnicking families in Howth
- We all fall down: a walk through Juventino Aranda’s arresting, disarming ‘Pocket Full of Posies’
- Want to step up your Instagram game? El Paso has plenty of spots.
- Your Dog Has Seen Me Naked
- Is today Flying Ant Day in the UK, what happens and what is the queen ant’s nuptial flight?