Four car manufacturers have cut their own deal with California on fuel efficiency rather than attempting to work with the Trump administration.TOP STORIESAutomakers’ Detour Around TrumpFour major automakers — Ford, Honda, Volkswagen and BMW — have reached a deal with California air regulators to gradually increase fuel efficiency standards, rejecting Trump administration efforts to roll back tailpipe pollution regulations put in place under President Obama. The voluntary agreement covers about 30% of new cars and SUVs sold in the United States. It presents a direct challenge to the Trump administration’s plans, expected to be formally announced later this summer.Naturalized Citizens, Natural FearsPresident Trump has stoked racial animosity unlike any other president in recent history, challenging what it means to be a U.S. citizen by transforming the nation’s immigration policies and accusing his opponents of not belonging in America. The result: He has energized supporters while upsetting many of the nation’s 20 million naturalized citizens, who feel that their identities and equality as Americans have come under attack. More Politics– With Trump insisting that former special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s work is a “ridiculous hoax,” a series of legislative proposals aimed at boosting election security has been bottled up in… Read full this story
- Democracy has taken a detour this century. Can it get back on track?
- California, 23 other states sue Trump over vehicle emissions rule
- The patriotic move is for Trump to resign
- The Obama and Trump reading lists, compared
- The biggest global threats facing Trump in 2020
- EPA unveils new Trump plan gutting Obama power plant rules
- The Hill's Morning Report - Impeachment of Trump resumes
- The Trump administration is hiding something
- Christmastime in Washington: Fear trumps love
- What's behind Trump's nonsense on windmills and light bulbs
Newsletter: Automakers' detour around Trump have 292 words, post on www.latimes.com at July 26, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.