A terminally-ill boy has been denied a life-changing drug on the NHS and may have to move to Holland to access it. Max Sewart, from East Harptree, Somerset, has Batten disease, which slowly robs children of their ability to see, speak and walk before killing them. The average life expectancy is just 12 years old. The progress of the eight-year-old’s disease could be halted with the £500,000 a year enzyme therapy treatment, which isn’t approved on the NHS. Officials even allegedly rejected an offer from the drug manufacturer which would have given him free access to it for six months. Max’s devastated parents Simon, 43, and Ivana Sewart, 39, said they feel played by the NHS who have done nothing ‘proactive’ to save their son. They are pleading with the public to help them raise half-a-million pounds to pay for the treatment privately or abroad in a race against time. Mr Sewart condemned Health Secretary Matt Hancock’s lack of intervening with price negotiations. He said: ‘My child is dying and the NHS think it’s a game.’ Max Sewart, a terminally ill eight-year-old boy, has been denied a life-saving drug on the NHS and may have to move to Holland to access it. He is… Read full this story
- Terminal breast cancer patients push for Pharmac inquiry and the funding of life-preserving drugs
- Beyonce Sings 'Survivor' to Terminally Ill Fan to Grant Final Wish
- Shameful 'cover-up culture' at top of the Met: Leon Brittan's widow breaks her silence over child sex abuse probe, savages police for 'moral failure' and slams Tom Watson for 'the most despicable thing a human can do'
- Boris tries to scare us into lockdown: Whitty launches new government Stay at Home drive backed up by terrifying ads of dying Covid patients as Britain suffers record 1,325 deaths and 68,000 cases in a single day
- Don't get your hopes up about lockdown being eased in March: Chris Whitty says NHS will still be under pressure once the over-70s are jabbed - as UK's Covid cases and deaths continue to fall with 19,202 infections and 1,322 fatalities
- Game of Thrones actress Esme Bianco says Marilyn Manson cut her torso with a knife, chased her with an ax and treated her 'like a prisoner' in new allegations against the singer
- The Big Read: Amid rising child abuse cases, the community needs to step up and be ‘busybodies’
- 'People might think we might be playing God': Inside the Child Protective Service
- Covid vaccine centre volunteers are left 'standing around' because of 'rigid' NHS priority rules: Nobel prize-winning scientist Sir Paul Nurse says UK MUST speed up jab drive
- NHS has been 'nothing special' during the pandemic says free-market think tank which claims it does not deserve 'adulation' as it has not helped Britain cope any better with coronavirus than other countries
'My child is dying and the NHS thinks it's a game': Officials deny terminally-ill boy, eight, a life-extending drug as his family plead for £500,000 and say they may have to move to Holland to access it have 460 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at July 5, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.