When Conrad Black, then owner of the Spectator and Daily Telegraph, and his wife, Barbara, decided to throw a party in Boris Johnson’s honour, the magazine’s editor and aspiring politician had already let his proprietor down. The upwardly mobile journalist had promised Black he would abandon hopes of a political career to preside over the political weekly, but was almost immediately seeking to contest a parliamentary seat. By the time the Blacks threw open their 11-bedroom Kensington house to guests in 2001, Johnson was not just a magazine editor, but also the Conservative candidate for Henley – and his reputation for getting away with it was well and truly established. A high point of the party was a performance by Kit and the Widow, a satirical double act. One of the guests made a note of the chorus: “That effrontery so sordid/should be cherished and rewarded/Is a fact to be applauded/As public life goes on/Let honour be accorded/That he’s pulled off such a con/Let it be lauded, the BoJo phenomenon.” Black even declared: “If Boris wants to run for No 10, the Telegraph is behind him.” But nobody took him seriously. As the guest ruefully observed: “Everybody puddled themselves with… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson grilled by MPs over Dominic Cummings’ lockdown breach
- Dominic Cummings 'is set to quit in six months': Boris Johnson's under-fire chief adviser 'will leave after drawing a line under Brexit'
- Boris Johnson pleads with people to 'move on' from Dominic Cummings row and dismisses calls for an official probe as he is grilled by cross-party MPs over his chief aide's 260-mile trip to Durham
- PIERS MORGAN: Spare me your hypocritical claps for the NHS, Prime Minister - you've told lie after lie about why so many health and care workers have died and now you're giving the heroes who saved your life another massive slap in the face
- MPs' quarantine rebellion: Team of Tory politicians including seven former ministers are urging the Government to scrap plan to order all arrivals into UK to self-isolate for 14 days
- Boris Johnson wants to fast-track unlockdown plan and return to ‘near-normality’ in July
- DOMINIC SANDBROOK: If Boris Johnson can't do without Dominic Cummings then truly there is a void at the heart of this Government
- Pubs and restaurants could reopen NEXT MONTH as Boris Johnson says roadmap is moving 'faster than previously thought' and orders review of the six-foot rule
- Fury as Boris Johnson ESCAPES criminal investigation over claims he gave Jennifer Arcuri special treatment when he was London mayor - despite investigation finding they WERE intimate
- Boris Johnson could be forced to give evidence to London Assembly over his 'intimate' relationship with Jennifer Arcuri after he escaped criminal investigation into claims he gave her special treatment
Laughter and lies: Johnson's journey from journalist to MP have 464 words, post on www.theguardian.com at July 15, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.