The next few weeks will be a flurry of activity for race-goers as outfits are fine-tuned for Ladies Day. And this year there is a change to the rules.
Amid a frenzy of colour-matching and hat sprucing, there will of course be those who have already sorted out their glad rags and now have them hanging up in readiness for the day.
For others there is still plenty of time to buy a dress, shoes, accessories and hat or fascinator – and gents to get their suit to the dry cleaners – to ensure they stand out from the crowd.
And remember that race-day judges will be scouring Newcastle Racecourse to find the Best Dressed Lady to win a top prize.
Remember too that certain dress codes apply to various areas of the racecourse so it’s worth checking which area you have a ticket for. Here’s your guide to what to wear where:
What is the dress code for Ladies Day?
The dress code in hospitality areas and the Premier Enclosure is smart casual.
Dress codes do not apply to children under 10.
The official dress code for men is collared shirts, no polo shirts, dress trousers and shoes (smart denim is acceptable). No ripped jeans, sportswear or trainers.
BUT this year gents are allowed to wear tailored shorts, which will be a relief to all those who had a very warm Plate Day at the course. After all, the winner of Plate Day’s best dressed man competition was not wearing trousers! Ladies dress, as always, is smart.
Ladies Day 2019
Grandstand & Paddock
There is no dress code in this enclosure, however the removal of shirts is not permitted. Fancy dress is also allowed, so long as it is “decent” and won’t cause offence to other racegoers.
- An etiquette expert decodes the dreaded smart casual dress code
- What is smart casual dress code for men and women? A guide to the correct attire from an etiquette expert
- Plaquemines school held a special event for its top students -- but the dress code was sexist
- Henley Regatta dress code, style tips and best dresses
- The Torture of Dressing for Your Office Holiday Party
- Day in the Life: Erle the Hatmaker
- The Secret History of Women in Coding
- Artist of the Year 2019: 2-D visual arts nominees
- 10 Top Tips to look and feel gorgeous on Valentine’s Day