- 30 Jul
- From the section European Football
Gareth Bale was not fit to travel with Real Madrid for their friendly with Tottenham in Munich, according to manager Zinedine Zidane.
Real president Florentino Perez blocked him from joining Jiangsu Suning even though Zidane said his exit would be “best for everyone”.
It was thought Bale was not in the right mental state to travel to Munich.
But Zidane said after the game: “He didn’t travel because he wasn’t fit.
“After speaking with the doctors, the best thing was for him to stay in Madrid. He stayed back and is training there. It was a joint decision between the player, medical staff and the coach.”
Bale – who has scored 102 goals in 231 games for Real – appears to be out of favour with Zidane, who had said he was “very close to leaving” last week.
Find out more
- Bale trains with Real Madrid after missing Germany trip
- Liverpool's quest for glory ends in tears as Gareth Bale wondergoal breaks hearts
- Real Madrid make it three in a row after Loris Karius calamities destroy Liverpool's hopes: live updates
- Liverpool's quest for glory ends in tears as Gareth Bale wondergoal breaks hearts: live updates and reaction
- Joe Allen looking forward to Principality Stadium return
- Man Utd 2-1 Real Madrid: Jose Mourinho unsure when Anthony Martial will return
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Brooks on the books for Manchester United?
- LIVE Transfer Talk: Man United, City in £100m battle for Sancho
- Every team Liverpool can draw in Champions League assessed & rated