Novak Djokovic booked a place in Wimbledon’s fourth round after beating Hubert Hurkacz in four sets.
The defending champion was not at his best for large periods as the 22-year-old pushed him hard on No. 1 Court on Friday.
Djokovic took the opener, but Hurkacz fought back by clinching a high-quality second before the Serb’s class told, sealing a 7-5 6-7 (5-7) 6-1 6-4 victory.
The number one seed will next face either Canada’s rising teenage star Felix Auger-Aliassime or Ugo Humbert of France.
At 5-5 in a tough first set Djokovic scented blood, with Hurkacz slipping to 0-40 before battling back into the game only to send a desperate forehand narrowly long at the end of an extraordinary rally, handing the top seed the advantage.
Djokovic, earlier involved in a minor row with the umpire over the colour of his cap, subsequently closed out the set but was still stuck in second gear during the second, having to save a set point at 6-5 down.
The defending champion won the first point of the breaker against serve, but Hurkacz got back on terms with another stunning point before Djokovic dropped a double-fault to make it 2-1 to the Pole.
Djokovic dug deep but, with the Wimbledon crowd cheering the Pole on, Hurkacz improbably levelled the match at a set apiece by thumping home after sending his opponent wide with an excellent serve.
Hurkacz’s level dropped thereafter, however, and Djokovic recovered his composure to find an extra gear and quickly blast his way through two rapid sets to assert his dominance and secure passage.
Fetching more content…
- Qatar Open: Top-seeded Djokovic eases into quarterfinals
- Blog: Djokovic beats Federer in five sets to win Wimbledon title
- Paris Masters: Novak Djokovic Crushes Stefanos Tsitsipas, Sets Up Grigor Dimitrov Semi-Final
- Nadal tops Djokovic in 1 vs. 2 battle
- Djokovic, Nadal advance in Shanghai
- Djokovic tops Federer at ATP Finals
- The Latest: Djokovic wary of Murray’s improved form on clay
- Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams advance to Cincinnati semifinals
- Top-ranked Djokovic, Serena Williams reach Cincy semifinals
- Federer beats Djokovic in straight sets at Shanghai Masters
- Djokovic retains Paris Masters title with victory over Milos Raonic
- Latest on US Open: Nadal blows 2-set Slam lead for 1st time
- Murray, Djokovic to meet again at Key Biscayne
- Sony Open: Sharapova reaches semis, Djokovic to meet Murray in quarters
- Game-by-game blog: Nadal beats Djokovic to win ninth French Open
- Djokovic to face Raonic at Paris Masters final
- Radwanska falls, Djokovic, Federer, Sharapova advance at French Open
- Djokovic wins again in Shanghai; Nadal, Murray also advance
- Novak Djokovic returns from wrist injury with win in Rome
- Djokovic, Nadal win in Shanghai
Djokovic eases through Hurkacz test after second-set scare have 429 words, post on www.sportskeeda.com at July 5, 2019. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.